Couple of issues with new 3.9 Clarke fuel tank

Tank looks great. First issue is it does not allow me to pull choke out fully, to the second stage. And the next issue is the fuel selector valve now sits below carb and the hose has a sag in it before it goes to the carb witch I think will not allow me to use all my fuel. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated. I did some searches and did not come up with this issue with the choke

file the knob of the choke pull. Dont worry about the sag in th fuel line. I have a 3.9 ckark and have done that and have no issues

That would have been nice to know while I had the tank and seat off

Dr d how much fuel would you say you can't use out of the bottom of the tank

I have had it down to 1/2"  once. I have the natural color tank. post a picture of your hose sag

I have a raptor manual petcock. My tank will run dry if I let it. my reserve goes on when there is about an inch left.

I have the same issue with the choke knob but it never became an issue as even with the limited choke pull it always applied enough choke to start the engine when cold (most times I only use half choke anyhow). I'd try it the way it is before modifying the knob.

Did you keep the spacer on the petcock when you installed it on the Clarke tank? It'll change the depth of the pick up tubes inside the tank, but consider removing the spacer. I did as it wasn't needed to provide clearance for the selector level to be rotated. Without the spacer my fuel line had the proper routing and the bottom of the petcock was above the inlet to the carb.

file the knob of the choke pull. Dont worry about the sag in th fuel line. I have a 3.9 ckark and have done that and have no issues

Or, next time you take your tank off the bike, mark the point of contact before pulling the tank.  While the tank is off, drain it and let it air dry for a little while.  Then heat the spot of contact with a hot air heat gun and press it inwards with the thumb of a gloved hand.  Easy peasy.  No more conflicts with the choke.  DO NOT use a propane torch.  They are WAY TOO HOT!

FWIW, I put 7K miles on my DRZ with the choke conflict before I got around to fixing it.  It didn't bother me enough to pull the tank just to deal with that one issue, and I was too busy riding.

I also have the Raptor petcock.  Works great, although I have a loop in the fuel line in order to install an inline filter.  The loop has no effect on the fuel flow or tank level when empty.  I suppose that there is about 2 ounces of fuel left in the bottom of the looped line when the tank runs completely dry.  When the petcock is switched from ON to RESERVE, there is less than one pint of fuel in the tank.  DAMHIK, but I have determined this utilizing the scientific method of forming a hypothesis (the bike should easily run for 20 or 30 miles on RESERVE), running a carefully controlled experiment (blissfully hauling ass up the interstate while passing a large number of perfectly good gas stations until I ran out of gas 5 or 6 miles after going onto RESERVE), and developed accurate conclusions of the results of my experiment (I am a moron and need AAA to come save my bacon before I get blasted by a truck while parked on the edge of a shoulder free section of said interstate superhighway).

J.

DSCN0002.jpg

Edited by JMulthaup

I realize this is to tight but when I put the new tank on I didi the 3x3 mod and did the jd jet kit it barley starts and will not stay running. Fuel line must have to much of a pinch in it to get fuel

image.jpg

I realize this is to tight but when I put the new tank on I didi the 3x3 mod and did the jd jet kit it barley starts and will not stay running. Fuel line must have to much of a pinch in it to get fuel

I would worry more about the kinking fuel line than the sag. I would go to NAPA or a lawn mower shop and pick up some clear fuel line. it is more flexable

I will do that I understand I can take this spacer out also?

Yes you can lose the spacer. On my Clarke I have an on/off/reserve petcock (raptor type) from ebay. I did not like the cheap plastic tank tubes so I removed them and pulled the tubes off my old OEM vacuum style petcock. I drilled the right sized holes in the new petcock and JB welded the tank tubes into place thereby maintaining a good sized reserve amount in the Clarke tank. 

It was mentioned that the bike ran bad after the tank replacement and mods. Did you remember to reconnect the vacuum line or cap the nipple if you no longer use the vacuum line?