Sign in to follow this  

Is stock air filter over oiled?

I noticed when I got my new 500 EXC, that there was air filter oil that was "seeping" out of the airbox, and the dealership even pointed it out to me, and told me not to worry about it.  I didn't think too much of it.

So, I've been checking my air fitler on my new 500 EXC, and it hasn't appeared to be all that dirty.  Today, and it still doesn't look all that dirty, I decided that I should clean it.  

WOW!  When I took it off of there, I couldn't believe how much oil was on there!  The bottom of the filter is literally just oil soaked, and the bottom of the air box is just an oil slick!  There was no air getting thru the bottom at all!

When I've oiled the filter on my DRZ in the past, I NEVER used as much oil as they had on the stock filter.

That makes me question if I was NOT using enough oil on my DRZ, OR if the KTM has TOO much oil?

According to the UNI air filter instructions, you're supposed to put a light coat of oil on the filter, and then wring out excess, which is what I've always done.  The KTM was definitely past that point.

Are the stock KTM's just over oiled???

CADman_KS

When I bought my '13 300xc in August it was the same way. I pulled the air filter and serviced it before I ever rode the bike. Every KTM on the showroom had a green puddle underneath it from over oiled filters. Not sure the reasoning behind it but it wasn't right in my book.

Mine was the same. There seems to be a fine line between the right amount and too much or it will just drip out the bottom on my exc. The Freeride seems to be a lot easier to get right.

The little green (and STICKY!) puddles under all the bikes at my dealer tell me that YES! it's over-oiled!  you should have enough oil to fully coat the filter then sqeeze out the excess.

I also noticed some oil just below the airbox. Figured it was from the filter but I havn't looked at it yet.  Cadman, you said your's still didn't look that diry, how many miles(hours) are you at?

Scott

I also noticed some oil just below the airbox. Figured it was from the filter but I havn't looked at it yet. Cadman, you said your's still didn't look that diry, how many miles(hours) are you at?

Scott

About 700 miles and around 21 hours. A lot of it has been road miles...

CADman_KS

About 700 miles and around 21 hours. A lot of it has been road miles...

CADman_KS

Good for you. I got like 3 miles on mine from just neighborhood cruising :( What did you do for your engine breaking in procedure?

Thanks for starting up this thread, it's been a really long time since I had to worry about cleaning and oiling filters, I'm glad to see some clarifying on the amount of oil a new/clean filter should have......with that said, what are you guys using to clean these filters???  Looking for the simplest but recommended manner to do this!

TIA! 

I clean mine in stages with turpentine using a couple of different containers. Then I use another container with hot water and dish washing liquid to wash it. Squeeze out but don't twist. Repeat with fresh dish washing water, then rinse and squeeze. Needs to be pretty hot. I use gloves. Squeeze dry and let it sit for a day, then re oil. Someone on here suggested keeping a spare oiled up in a plastic bag. I am going to try this too.

I clean mine in stages with turpentine using a couple of different containers. Then I use another container with hot water and dish washing liquid to wash it. Squeeze out but don't twist. Repeat with fresh dish washing water, then rinse and squeeze. Needs to be pretty hot. I use gloves. Squeeze dry and let it sit for a day, then re oil. Someone on here suggested keeping a spare oiled up in a plastic bag. I am going to try this too.

I don't use turpentine, and I'm not saying that's bad either.

What I use is a UNI air filter cleaner / oiler kit.  It comes with a can that you spray on the filter to clean it, and then you just run it under water, NO soap to clean it out.  It actually works really well.  Then, the other can is oil in a spray can.  That works a WHOLE lot better than the can of oil that you get with your bike.  That's a PITA way to oil a filter.

I have not gotten another filter yet either, but I plan to always have two on hand as well.  One clean, and in a baggy like stated, and the other in the bike.  That way, you can always have a clean one at the ready...

YMMV...

CADman_KS

• Like 1

What I find really crazy is you rode it without checking! I always check the airfilters just to make sure they're put on right from the factory......

I use Twin Air filter cleaner to break the oil/dirt down. Squeeze out the cleaner and then wash with Dawn (Blue Kind) dish detergent and hot water.

If there still not clean after that (usually are) I'll spray them down with simple green let them soak and throw them in the washing machine (when wife is no where near coming home) and they come out almost new.

Let them air dry, re-oil and put them in a gallon size zip-lock bag so their ready to go the next time around. I keep 3 for each of my bikes on hand.

...  What did you do for your engine breaking in procedure?

Sorry for the late reply.  Just getting around to replying...

I did NOT follow the book to the tee, and I suppose shame on me.

However, I did NOT do any trail riding for that first hour for the most part.  I did go out for about 30 minutes one day, but I was really really easy on it, so I wasn't running it too hard.  I did NOT change the oil the first time at 1 hour either.  I went to 2 hours before I changed it, but again, most of the hours / miles were on the road, so they were not hard at all.  

I DID keep the throttle relatively low for that first two hours.

I don't remember what the book says, but as I recall,  you're not supposed to open the throttle to more than 3/4 for the first 10 hours.  I OBEYED that one as well.  And, the only reason that I obeyed that one, is that I don't have the balls to get this bike past about 1/4 throttle!!!  I don't like being on the ground!!!  LOL!!

I went on a dual sport ride a couple of weeks back, when I had about 12 hours on or so.  During that ride, I got out of my position in line, so I the guy in front of me motioned me to go around him.  We were rolling at about 30 MPH at the time.  I grabbed a handful of throttle, I'd guess half (???), and the next thing I know, the front end is in the air!  I about crapped myself right there!  That was NOT supposed to happen.  I can't imagine what 3/4 throttle feels like.

I went trail riding for about 1 1/2 hours this weekend, so I changed oil for the second time at 21 hours.  I was going to change it at 15, but I had so many road miles on it, that changing it at 15 felt like overkill.

I am also NOT using full synthetic oil for these first two changes.  I have used 15W-40 Rotella T, which is straight dino oil.  I plan on using the semi-syn Rotella for the next two changes, and then I will move to full syn Rotella T6 after that...

CADman_KS

I've been using no toil for a while and I would def recommend, it is the stickiest oil I've ever used and the no toil cleaner is really good, it dissolves dirt nicely and like completely takes the filter oil out in one bucket. Just follow the Instructions and it works!

If there still not clean after that (usually are) I'll spray them down with simple green let them soak and throw them in the washing machine (when wife is no where near coming home) and they come out almost new.

I got my arse chewed by she-who-must-be-obeyed for just cleaning it out in the sink with water!

That UNI cleaner stuff does stink, and it made the whole house stink for about a half a day!!!

CADman_KS

In "some" ways I'm pretty lucky. The wife loves the smell of a running 2-stroke. She actually asks me to start it in the garage so she can smell it lol! But for the love of humanity don't F with her washing machine! She's gotten over the whole washing filters in the kitchen sink thing. It takes conditioning buddy.

Sorry for the late reply.  Just getting around to replying...

I did NOT follow the book to the tee, and I suppose shame on me.

However, I did NOT do any trail riding for that first hour for the most part.  I did go out for about 30 minutes one day, but I was really really easy on it, so I wasn't running it too hard.  I did NOT change the oil the first time at 1 hour either.  I went to 2 hours before I changed it, but again, most of the hours / miles were on the road, so they were not hard at all.  

I DID keep the throttle relatively low for that first two hours.

I don't remember what the book says, but as I recall,  you're not supposed to open the throttle to more than 3/4 for the first 10 hours.  I OBEYED that one as well.  And, the only reason that I obeyed that one, is that I don't have the balls to get this bike past about 1/4 throttle!!!  I don't like being on the ground!!!  LOL!!

I went on a dual sport ride a couple of weeks back, when I had about 12 hours on or so.  During that ride, I got out of my position in line, so I the guy in front of me motioned me to go around him.  We were rolling at about 30 MPH at the time.  I grabbed a handful of throttle, I'd guess half (???), and the next thing I know, the front end is in the air!  I about crapped myself right there!  That was NOT supposed to happen.  I can't imagine what 3/4 throttle feels like.

I went trail riding for about 1 1/2 hours this weekend, so I changed oil for the second time at 21 hours.  I was going to change it at 15, but I had so many road miles on it, that changing it at 15 felt like overkill.

I am also NOT using full synthetic oil for these first two changes.  I have used 15W-40 Rotella T, which is straight dino oil.  I plan on using the semi-syn Rotella for the next two changes, and then I will move to full syn Rotella T6 after that...

CADman_KS

Thanks for the reply. I plan on trying not to go over 1/2-3/4 throttle the first hour or so too. And probably will never ride over 3/4 throttle lol did you check the valves during the first oil change?

Thanks for the reply. I plan on trying not to go over 1/2-3/4 throttle the first hour or so too. And probably will never ride over 3/4 throttle lol did you check the valves during the first oil change?

No, I didn't check the valves.

I didn't check them at the second either, but probably should have.

I'll probably check them at the third, just for sake of knowing.  Others who have ridden a LOT harder than me indicate that they don't move even in the first couple hundred hours.  Still good to get a baseline, though.

While I haven't checked mine, they do look fairly easy to check on this bike, so I don't anticipate it being a huge deal...

CADman_KS

Edited by cadman_ks