xr650r sprocket on xr600r

I installed the xr650r  sprocket backwards on the 600 and it fit easily with no problem installing the retaining clip.  It destroyed an almost new chain in one ride.  I know that the sprocket sits 4mm farther from the case  and I'm not sure this is the reason but periodically, the chain would go into a harmonic side to side motion to where it would slap the side of the frame.  It shattered the chain in maybe 20 places or so and I feel lucky to get home without destroying things.  I was running my chain a little loose (on purpose) but is this 4mm offset enough to cause the chain to "snatch" coming off the rear sprocket?  I am reluctant to go back to the xr600r counter sprocket but may have to.  Any thoughts or others experience this when using the xr650r sprocket?  Thank you for any ideas.

I don't know if it's different for the XR600R, but the XR650R C/S sprocket causes an offset of 2.5mm, or 1/10-inch for the XR650L.  This small offset on one end of the drive chain should not have caused the problems you experienced.  I strongly encourage you to check the alignment of the rear wheel, wheel bearings, et cetera. ;)

Spud :)

I don't know if it's different for the XR600R, but the XR650R C/S sprocket causes an offset of 2.5mm, or 1/10-inch for the XR650L.  This small offset on one end of the drive chain should not have caused the problems you experienced.  I strongly encourage you to check the alignment of the rear wheel, wheel bearings, et cetera. ;)

Spud :)

That's what I'm going to do.  An alignment problem seems more probably than the offset.  I couldn't believe it when I removed the chain to wash the bike.  I first noticed one side of a link missing, and then I saw perhaps a dozen or more cracks around the pins. I can't believe the chain didn't break with the 600's torque.  I feel lucky.  I noticed the chain vibrating at times and I would let off and it would stop but the vibration was annoying but didn't seem violent.

hmmmm, mine seems to be ok, but i have a oring chain. Is yours oring? But if it s still out of alignment, oring shouldn't make a difference. have seen some guys paint a few links, to look for wear marks.

I installed the xr650r  sprocket backwards on the 600 and it fit easily with no problem installing the retaining clip.  It destroyed an almost new chain in one ride.  I know that the sprocket sits 4mm farther from the case, any ideas.

slip on a washer or 2 between the retaining clip and the sprocket, may need to grind a little off the crank side of the sprocket to get it to fit but it will fix your alignment issues and still utilize allot more spline area than factory. my 2c's

By mistake, I found out my XR6R has the rear wheel off a 650R.  I bought a rear sprocket for an XR6R and it fits the 650R hub.  However, I also had to mess with different spacers to get things to line up correctly.  I know we are talking about the front sprocket, so just an FYI.  The rear for both will fit.

I'm thinking of putting a washer under each rear sprocket bolt to offset the rear sprocket to the outside maybe a 1mm or so.

I'm thinking of putting a washer under each rear sprocket bolt to offset the rear sprocket to the outside maybe a 1mm or so.

Holy cow.  That might actually work and would have been a lot cheaper than custom spacers from All Balls.  Although the gang over there did a great job on getting something that worked perfectly.

Just be aware that it not only affected the sprocket, but also brake caliper alignment.

Edited by Go Big Red

btw, the xr650r sprocket Sunstar went  on the xr600r shaft with ease.  Probably had a 1/16 clearance for the keeper.  Shaft is still like new but no tapping or grinding was required.

My rear sprocket is super close to swing arm, the washers might bring it out too far and rub.

I tapped one on a year ago. Works great!

Can't say it won't work but my prediction is the bolts will not stay tight and the end result will be a hub with ovalled bolt holes.

Using a bolt you can tighten the living crap out of will help.

Grade 8 washers will help. Flat machined washers would be ideal. A machined ring with all the bolt holes in it would be best.

tried a different chain, shimmed the case guard out 4mm (I saw it was rubbing on the chain) widened the slot on the rubber swing arm protector to move it over into alignment with the chain, straightened the back wheel a tad, and the chain runs true now.  Thank heavens it wasn't difficult to fix.