Sign in to follow this  

Transmission main shaft

Hey guys,

I was wondering about play in my main shaft of my transmission.  I have about a 1/8 maybe 1/4 at most of an inch of back and forth play.  I'm 99.9% sure I have every washer in there.  The only way I would have missed a washer is it fell out somewhere but nothing is on my work bench and I went ahead and assembled the transmission per the manual with every piece mentioned.  The transmission spun freely before I put the cases together.  The transmission still spun freely once the cases were together and all the shift linkage was connected.  I went to put on the counter sprocket and guess what...  It does no spin freely anymore.  It spins, but it feels as if it is binding a little bit somewhere???  Once again I started assembling per the manual.  I just don't want to go to much further and find out I need to undo all my hard work.  The second issue and I read this in the book is it says to use a metal block with a bolt to check and make sure it will shift through the gears just fine.  I'm not sure where to get the block is there something else I can use?  Wood maybe?  I tried to shift and just hold it with my hand and it would not shift at all.  But I'm assuming it needs to be done by the manual and this is why I am not seeing / feeing the shifts.  I am not to worried about that part.  Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Here is a picture of where I am at....

transmission.JPG

The play is not normal, replace the bearings. They are cheap but get the oem not the cheap ones on eBay.

This play could cause binding but I would assume it's from a missing part or washer.

I guess I should have stated this.  I replaced all my bearings in the crank case BUT not on the transmission if there are any.  Countershaft bearing, a needle bearing, I think 6 or so in total including the crank bearing.  I went with OEM Honda bearing.  I bought all new washers for the transmission.  I guess take it apart.  What else should I look for?

Thanks,

Chris

normally you would replace all the bearings at the same time. thats the most logical thing to do anyways. hindsight is 20/20.  when you put the bushing on and spin the counter shaft there will be some resistance from the seal. how much side play do you have when the sprocket is installed and bolt tightened ?   what im sayin is i wouldnt take it back apart just yet 

becareful whos advice you follow. many times people will give suggestions and they cant even fix their own simple problems

ok i see you did replace all bearings in the case ?   i misunderstood what you said . theres no bearings on the shafts, only bushings.

Edited by harryhandshake

Okay I like what you are saying.  My main shaft has like 1/8" of movement.  I am hoping and hoping greatly that once I get the clutch basket and everything else on that all that play will go away.  But the movement is probably about as much as a washer missing which scares the hell out of me.  I'm like 99.9% everything is installed correctly and all washers are there.  I know 100% I had everything built correctly on the transmission with the gears, washers and so on.  Just scared maybe a washer fell out and hit the floor and went MIA, but as I said I think that is very unlikely, and I agree with not tearing it apart again, as I have everything torqued properly and seals pushed in exactly to 1mm (crank and countershaft) and 2mm other side of crank.  As far as the "binding" and noise I believe you are correct on the seal / bushing then the sprocket.  I'm just nervous on that movement.  Also there is no side to side movement.  When I pull the main shaft all the way to the right "towards clutch" it stops and there is a lip that becomes flush with the bearing.  Am I justifying this in my head or is when the basket and everything else installed it will pull and hold the main shaft in that position? 

Thanks,

Chris

If once you assemble the trans and you cannot shift through the gears, and turn the countershaft w/o binding there is a mix up with the washers on the shafts. I just had this issue when I assembled my bottom end yesterday.

Shift into neutral and see if it feels normal on the countershaft ( I attached my sprocket and put the bike in gear and in neutral and turned that sprocket). Mine was really tight and hard to turn when it was in neutral so I knew I had a problem. Once the washers were in their correct position it spun freely in neutral.

• Like 1

You most likely put a washer in the wrong spot you need to pull it back apart and go over it again. If you run it with it binding like that you risk ruining the cases and trans. I have seen this before with friends bikes, thought the binding would go away once he rode it a little the result was a spun bearing and a case that was beyond repair, don't let a $3 part destroy your engine because you didn't want to take 30 min to pull the cases apart

I split my cases 5 or 6 times trying to figure it out. Doesn't feel right, Im not running it. On the diagram it is hard to tell the difference in washers. They look the same in the manual but when you hold them, they are not. 

oh man okay good call.  Is my seal on the left side going to have to be replaced again?  I doubt my right seal will be damaged as there is a pressed fit bushing I can remove.  I'm just not looking forward to it, but your right its better then a blow up on start up, especially I just dropped some coin on a new crank and the bearing.  Also what about my center gasket will that have to be replaced?

Thanks,

Chris

oh man okay good call. Is my seal on the left side going to have to be replaced again? I doubt my right seal will be damaged as there is a pressed fit bushing I can remove. I'm just not looking forward to it, but your right its better then a blow up on start up, especially I just dropped some coin on a new crank and the bearing. Also what about my center gasket will that have to be replaced?

Thanks,

Chris

I would replace both gasket and seal , if the cases are still dry then you might get away with out replacing the center gasket

My center gasket was an OEM one, it was wet. I wiped off all the fluids and it sort of dried out and I used it again. When I started and ran my bike yesterday it was fine. 

So I took it apart again tonight, can't find any washers missing.  Even if I mixed up a washer (which I doubt I went new and placed them in order from the diagram matching the part number on the package to the location) I would not have play or movement.  It is exactly 2mm or 3/32".  Every part is in there according to Honda's diagram.  I'm pretty sure a washer was missing when I tore it apart (this is why I bought all new washers.)  The gears look good.  I guess I will just have to measure them.  And in hind sight I might be talking about the counter shaft.  It is the gears / shaft that sticks through into the clutch basket.

Thanks,

Chris