Fork Oil level for Gold valves

08 S forks. PO has The fork oil level set at 165mm. I read the manual states 122mm for the newer cartridge forks from 2003 on and 165mm for 2001-2002 forks. Apparently these were worked on by Epic and they installed gold valves. But why would they have set the oil at 165mm instead of 122? Is there something about the gold valves that requires 165? Which should I go with?

08 S forks. PO has The fork oil level set at 165mm. I read the manual states 122mm for the newer cartridge forks from 2003 on and 165mm for 2001-2002 forks. Apparently these were worked on by Epic and they installed gold valves. But why would they have set the oil at 165mm instead of 122? Is there something about the gold valves that requires 165? Which should I go with?

If they are cartridge forks and not the older damper rod forks, 120-122mm is a good starting point.. and 165mm is too low.

In case you don't know, that's spring out, fork collapsed 

Ok. They were worked on by Epic so I can't see them making that mistake. I thought maybe they did some modification that required less oil? Just guessing. Then again the PO may have changed the oil since then and put in 165 in error. Thx for verifying.