Sign in to follow this  

Would a wider rear wheel rim work on my WR 250f 2006

I have several bikes with the 2.15" wide rim and use the 110 width tires, my WR is jetted and piped and has excess wheel spin with the stock 1.85 wide rim and 100 width tires. Just wondering if any one else has done this mod and if would be worth the effort?

Not in my opinion.

Maybe a new rear tire that just works better for your terrain?

If you have the correct tire for your terrain, wider will not be better, it will just suck up power to turn. Try changing your finial drive gearing instead.

We are entering our dry season and it's time for me to change my rear 1.85 tire and goto a hard compound we will mostly have hard pack, should I go with the 100 or 110? I spoke with our local 250f national champion about this and he explained to me that in the mud he uses a softer 100 and in the dry hard pack he uses a 110 hard.  I'm about a week from buying a tire not sure which one to get, can you explain (help me) why I should stick with the 100 because I was going togo the 110

Thanks in advance, Carlos

If you have the correct tire for your terrain, wider will not be better, it will just suck up power to turn. Try changing your finial drive gearing instead.

My wr250f is jetted and piped for more power. I think it has plenty of power for a wider wheel, I have already changed gearing and I run a Bridgestone 204 soft terrain which is right for my ridding. I don't have to change anything, just interested in getting a little less spinning coming out of turns.

My wr250f is jetted and piped for more power. I think it has plenty of power for a wider wheel, I have already changed gearing and I run a Bridgestone 204 soft terrain which is right for my ridding. I don't have to change anything, just interested in getting a little less spinning coming out of turns.

Apparently, you already made your mind up so I am a bit baffled why you are asking the question . BTW, changing tire is IS changing something. A bigger tire will ride on top and there will be less pressure per square inch to bite.

Big tires are used to prevent sinking in sand/mud/snow when there is no 'bottom' to grab onto.

Carlos, that is correct. But even though a pro does this or that, does not mean it is right for you. That means you may not get the same results as you are a rider of different abilities.

Also, when it comes to "hard" and "soft" tires for dirt bikes, that refers to a hard terrain or soft terrain tire, not the rubber compound of the tire, itself.

Going through the manual for my 2003 WR250F I noticed that different parts of the world receive bikes from the factory with different sized tyres front and back.

Must have something to do with the terrain being tackled :confused:

Front Tyre   80/100-21 51M (For USA, CDN and ZA)
                    90/90-21 54R (For EUROPE, AUS and NZ)
Rear Tyre    100/100-18 59M (For USA, CDN and ZA)
                    130/90-18 69R (For EUROPE, AUS and NZ)

Hey just asking if others have run the 110 width tire, if you have then I am interested in your opinion as to it is better traction or not. And if you know any thing about tires(apparently not) a 204 Bridgestone is a soft terrain rear. I don't understand some of these negative responses, but trust me I will not post again!!!

I'm familiar with dirt bike tires, too, and was commenting about what Costa Rican YZ250 posted about tires and terrain - he made it sound as if he thought a "soft" tire was referring to the actual rubber of the tire.

People do that with dirt bike tires, partly because that is what is done with roadrace and street sportbike tires.

Sorry for the confusion (assuming you mean me to begin with), and I probably should have used the quote function for that post I made. 

I wouldn't get offended as this is what you get from other people reading what other people are writing.

Yes, I have tried larger-that-stock tires in the past, and the reason it is in the past is because, other than looking bad-ass to somebody, I felt no advantage and decided it wasn't for me, and all I ever felt was the rear of the bike feeling a bit funny, and sometime being jacked-up in the rear due to a taller tire profile.

That's why I said negatory.

I've found that a major reason riders pick the tires they do for their dirt bikes is because of how bas-ass they look in the pictures or on the tire rack.

In fact, I've tried tires that other riders gave a thumbs-up to and felt they were a small step above junk.

If you carry through with trying it out, then just come back here and report about it so maybe somebody else can read your information.

What, exactly, are the ground and terrain condition when you're getting spinning coming out of the turns?

What's your tire condition (wear)?

What's the tire pressure?

What's the rider sag (AKA race sag) measurement of the rear spring preload setting?

Edited by YZEtc

When I had my 110 on I was riding a lot of mud. I think it made a difference but it could have been in my head too. It was a different type of tire too so that could have been the bigger difference. I would think that a wider tire in rocks and mud is better, more tire on the ground equals more traction in my way o thinking.

That one got away before I was finished. I was running around 14psi at the time too but since then I'm down to 10-12 and back on the skinny tire, only cause that is what I could get the deal on at the time. I your looking for traction, it's all in the air pressure. The change if 1-2psi is drastic and extremely noticeable particularly if you get used to riding 10 and go back to 12. It's feels like a bunch of basket balls under you.

So I appreciate the feedback and experience of others, I guess my opinion now is to just ride as is or just keep newer tire on it as the benefits of a wider rear tire is probably minimal at best based on feedback, I really do like my 06 wr250f and it is about the easiest of my bikes to ride aggressively off road. But like other bikes it was a little weak in stock form, but it is was surprising how much more motor it had with simple mods and some weight trimming!

P.S. so this leads into next guestion, who uses tire balls and what are pluses and minus on that setup?

Keep in mind not all 100 or 110 width tires are created equal. Some are wider or smaller than others....

No experience with tire balls, running Neutech Tubliss and am pretty stoked. Like being able to run 0-10 psi without pinch flats or rim damage.