Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota winters! Where down south to ride?

Winter is coming, haven't been riding so when he time comes I don't mind doing some traveling. What tracks/trails does everyone venture south to?

I believe we still have almost two months of riding left.  Closed tracks during hunting season and the State Forests are good until the ground is frozen. 

Iowa has riding parks that are open all rear round.  If you see a warm weekend coming and no snow on the ground, it's only a few hours away.

There is also Cedar Lake Arena, an indoor MX track just across the border in WI.

Are you sure your posting in the right forum?  Your location says California. 

Yeah I just haven't changed my location on here yet. Thanks for the info I'll check it out soon.

I'll probably be studding up after deer season ....

Bring on the winter riding!   I can't wait :D

Also planning on doing a couple Cedar lakes arena practices just to get some more moto time under my belt.

God knows I could use the help on the MX track ;)

How is the Cedar Lakes indoor thing?  Sand/dirt//??  Tons of people or ?  Crazy jumps or rideable by old/slow dudes like me?  I'm not much on motox but I'd love to be able to mess around for a few hours when it's not busy, wouldn't want to be in the way.  Looks like they're open Fridays-Mondays but not much other info on the site.  

How is the Cedar Lakes indoor thing?  Sand/dirt//??  Tons of people or ?  Crazy jumps or rideable by old/slow dudes like me?  I'm not much on motox but I'd love to be able to mess around for a few hours when it's not busy, wouldn't want to be in the way.  Looks like they're open Fridays-Mondays but not much other info on the site.  

When I went there it was almost my first time at an MX track.  You take turns riding according to the Class you race.  I rode with the slower C class.  Ride as hard as you can for 15 minutes and then come off.  You'll be tired after 15 minutes anyways.  The Surface is groomed, not rutted.  The biggest jump was a table top and I never cleared it, but by the end of the day you will be jumping and catching some air.

I've never had a good ending at Sandbox Arena, which is now Cedar Lake Arena by the looks of it. The first time, a guy whiskey throttled right into a steel structural post and knocked himself out. Very scary, he was unresponsive and the ambulance came and got him. Bike was in pieces. That was a little unnerving. Last time I was there I went nose heavy over the table top on the east side (last year I think) and biffed hard. It's a nice get away in the winter, but I have had bad luck there.