Sign in to follow this  

Rider Sag vs Static Sag

Which one is more important? I have a soft spring on the back (actually 4.6 should be 5) and i have t 100mm rider sag with 45mm static sag, I'm a novice riding woods ... Is it ok or do you suggest a different setup? Cheers

Ideally it is best to hit both rider and static sag numbers but to choose only one it would be the rider. You are at the high end of the static which should be 25-45mm (20-25% of travel). Rider sag is 30-33% of travel and 100mm rider sag seems low for woods riding. Rider sag numbers are also determined by rider style, bike and terrain.

Rider sag determines more how the bike handles. Static sag determines if you have the correct spring. I wouldn't put too much into static sag, as the range of ok static sag can be very large. If you are over 195 on a 450 or over 175 on a 250f, you likely need stiffer springs. If you are under 175 on a 450 or under 155 on a 250f, you likely need softer springs. Rider sag affects how the bike rides (which is what we care about) more than static sag. I generally prefer stiff springs (large static sag) over soft springs, but it may wear you out faster than soft or ideal springs.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Bike size has no real conclusion on needing new springs (full size 250-500cc). Rider style and preference plays a bigger role as well as brand of bike in choosing springs.

More static sag = soft start then firms up, typically rides lower

Less static sag = firm start then firms up, typically rides higher

Edited by weantright

Thanks guys, I have an honda cr125 and I'm around 81kg naked.

Do you ride naked? Do your measurements(rider) in your gear if you want to be accurate..

100mm rider sag is good but 45mm free sag means you need a softer spring not a stiff spring. Not enough preload. 5.0 should be good for you. Check your sticktion.

Edited by WR 911
  • Like 2