Coolant

I just went to check my coolant and noticed that it has gotten darker. It was blue now it's a darker blue. I did a water drop on paper and no oil ring visible.. Bike has about 35 hours. Had the bike for about a year. Is it normal for coolant to get darker over time?

Edited by perkybewbs

Help

Sounds like you may be over looking at things.  I keep Engine ICE coolant (purple in color) and recently flushed it out after 50 hrs.  It was a little different color than the new bottle I would assume from the breakdown overtime. 

i can't say that getting darker is normal but not remembering exact shades of color are. 

if you're not losing any appreciable amount of coolant, without boilovers, and you're not have coolant in your oil then you're just fine. 

if you're really concerned then change your oil and look for milk in it. this would indicate coolant getting in there. aside from that don't sweat it.

Yeah that's the thing. I don't have any water in my oil. It's just a kind of green color because I change it frequently. It doesn't have the chance to get black. My coolant is full too, if I had oil in the coolant there would be too much in there I guess. Yeah my coolant was blue and it still is it's just a lot darker. I'm going to change it for sure but just wondering if it is normal for that to occur. How many bottles of engine ice should I buy for a 250f. It doesn't say how much it needs in the manual.

I check my coolant every ride just to top it off. When the bike is hot and I tip over on a tough hill, coolant spills out the overflow. So it's just habit to check every ride.

I change it every 25 hrs bc it's easy and can't hurt to have fresh coolant in the bike. I prefer Amsoil coolant which is propylene glycol based, vs ethylene glycol. Both have their advantages.

And btw I would change all fluids and brake fluid after 1st ride on a new bike. Don't know if you did but it's wise to do so.

And btw I would change all fluids and brake fluid after 1st ride on a new bike. Don't know if you did but it's wise to do so.

why would you change brake fluid after 1st ride. any other fluid i can sorta understand,....sorta. but brake fluid?  why?

why would you change brake fluid after 1st ride. any other fluid i can sorta understand,....sorta. but brake fluid? why?

To bleed it and ensure there's no air in the line.. not just for fresh fluid.

To bleed it and ensure there's no air in the line.. not just for fresh fluid.

but you don't have to change it to bleed it. you should know by feel if there is an issue with air in the line. sorry i just don't get it.

but for that matter i wouldn't change coolant either. just my preferences. 

Yeah, I was told to change it every year at least. I haven't checked it for the last couple of rides. I am def changing it before I ride it again. I'm just not sure weather it's normal that coolant should turn dark like that. Like I said earlier I don't have anything in my oil so it's beyond me if oil is in the coolant. Just checking to see if others have experienced this

1 bottle of engine ice will fill both radiators and have some left over

This may sound kind of stupid but is there any chance that the cv4 radiator cap could cause a discoloration in the coolant. I don't know just guessing, it was a fairly recent add on.

Edited by perkybewbs

This may sound kind of stupid but is there any chance that the cv4 radiator cap could cause a discoloration in the coolant. I don't know just guessing, it was a fairly recent add on.

The radiator cap won't cause any changes. Contamination and breakdown of the fluid causes it to become murky looking, radiator cap won't do that.

Ok just wanted to consider all variables. How else would the coolant get contaminated? Is it possible for oil to get into it but no coolant in oil? Or are you saying that breakdown alone can cause that

Edited by perkybewbs

I'm no expert on coolant, but i'm assuming it's like any other fluid. Over time it will change color. It's more or less just like your car/truck coolant. over time it changes color. I'm sure it isn't an issue. I myself wouldn't worry about it.

I assume so as well. I just want to verify it. I don't remember details on it from my previous bikes. I guess I really haven't payed much attention.

Here's something I've been meaning to ask, but didn't want to open a topic about it. But if you plan on not riding for say a couple of months, is it a good idea to drain out your coolant? Or is it ok to leave the coolant in there? I haven't drained it in fear the impeller for example might dry up and start to crack, or something worse. I just don't know much about coolant cooled bikes and wanted to ask for an opinion. The coolant in my 89YZ360 is crystal clear green, so I don't see any contaminants, but I do know that coolant doesn't last forever, and in time, the silicone inside coolant starts to separate with the ending results of clogging your radiators. I didn't want to have to change the coolant every ride (I just do oil and lube up the chassis), but on the other hand, I don't want to leave coolant inside the motor too long if I shouldn't. Any suggestions?

I think that it would probably be ok to sit for 2 months with coolant in it. If the coolant hadn't been changed in a long time you may want to change it because it can oxidize the radiators after a while and build up calcium deposits.

My cap didnt hold pressure is that y i lost compression and overheaed the head but rad was cool?