07 CRF450x hard to start in cold weather.

In so cal 50 degrees is cold. Bike wont start. At 70 degrees it cranks instantly. Any suggestions?

Stupid question... But are you using your choke?

Jetted correctly ?

In so cal 50 degrees is cold. Bike wont start. At 70 degrees it cranks instantly. Any suggestions?

To determine if you have a problem, or you just don't know proper starting procedure in various conditions, tell us how you are starting it.

I choke the bike. Leave throttle off and hit the starter. I don't know if its jetted properly. It seems to run fine when started so I assume its jetted correctly.

Try twisting the throttle rapidly 3 times prior to hitting the starter button.

Try twisting the throttle rapidly 3 times prior to hitting the starter button.

+1  

2-3 twists  choke and don't touch the throttle starts up everytime!

do you drain your bowl or run dry after each ride? if i let gas sit in mine (1-2 weeks) it gets a little touchy the first few miles until it clears out. 

Once running, adjust fuel screw for highest idle

Drop idle with idle screw if it goes too high, and repeat

Now start it as normal.

If cold/wet, do the 1,2 or 3 pulls on the throttle.

If it is jetted stock, it will be very lean and become harder and harder to start.

Just don't kick it !!

LAst season I kicked mine over in the cold after a failed E-start and whammo.  intake valves and decompression pin bent.

Whenever I had to kick I would do as gently as possible... My e start typically works very well but those battery's turn to crap in the cold..

On another note: is it viable to use starting fluid? Where would be the easiest place to squirt it?

Pass on the starter fluid , use the other advice mentioned above .

On another note: is it viable to use starting fluid? Where would be the easiest place to squirt it?

Starting fluid will ruin the carb. Literally.

Plus, it won't solve a single problem.

thanks. I'll try the suggestions this weekend.

Thanks all. Added fresh gas. Adjusted idle to 2000rpm, tried the three twist thing and it fired right up, ran and quit. Did that twice more and quit because it was 6 am anyway. Is there any extra fine tuning I can add to this so it continues to run after it fires up awhile?

Use the choke!

Just don't kick it !!

LAst season I kicked mine over in the cold after a failed E-start and whammo.  intake valves and decompression pin bent.

Whenever I had to kick I would do as gently as possible... My e start typically works very well but those battery's turn to crap in the cold..

What's this "just don't kick it"? Is there some weakness I should know about. I kick mine all the time.

What's this "just don't kick it"? Is there some weakness I should know about. I kick mine all the time.

Yes, the case surround the kick starter is weak ,and WILL break eventually if the recoil stop becomes weak.

It can even cause the center case to break.

Stop kicking it.

Starting fluid will ruin the carb. Literally.

Plus, it won't solve a single problem.

False, true.

False, true.

You know what?

You need to put up or shut up.

You jump on my posts to try and deny what I say, but again YOU HAVE NO PROOF.

I'll bet you've never even opened up an FCR carb.

Edited by Krannie

141_1012_05_o+basket_case_carb_101+melte