2001 Honda CR250R performance upgrades?

as I clearly wrote if you just bothered to read it all : just tug on the bars and up it goes.

nobody was talking about power-wheelies.

yea, i didnt read your post, yet i made sure to italicize the main point of my post? harryhandshake and myself as well as many others id bet get a kick out of posts like those because guys say "i cant keep the front wheel down in 5th gear". i as well as many others would assume you were talking about power wheelies since yanking the handle bars to pull a wheel would indicate nothing. i dont even call people out on this usually i just move on, but harryhandshake had me laughing pretty good when a guy posted a video of "power wheelies" in every gear with 3/4 of the seat showing through his gopro...

its obvious i misunderstood you.

Maybe you need help jetting your bike?...I never mentioned power wheelies either,I takes a weight shift or a slight tug on the bars but I don't have to sit on the fender to do it

yea, i need help on my jetting, please dude. youre still stuck with the s9 nozzle @ 5000', that tells me everything i need to know right there. 3 different friends with 01's, not a one has the stock s9 nozzle left in it anymore and for good reason. you can ask my 01 guys how their bike runs vs the s9 nozzle at sea level, let alone 5k ft.

Then you havent owned a 92 yz250.

please dude, a 92 yz250 vs my 13 250sx, my 00 cr250, my friends 3 different 01 cr250's, an 06 crf450, and an 07 crf450, yea that 92 yz250 will output those 450's for sure...

to the OP: just do some searches on jetting the 01's. there is a ton of posts on here about it and ive posted in many of them (both sea level and 3500' jetting) and not with the attitude i have right now ?

Edited by mynewcr250

So I have a  2001 honda cr250 and its pretty much stock besides an FMF Gnarly pipe and power core 2 silencer. I'm the type of person that loves to upgrade things. I am very mechanically inclined and I dont race the bike. I want to make this bike haul ass. What are some upgrades I could do?

Running the Gnarly Pipe....you take away the best trait of the bike. The awesome top end run out.

With the stock pipe the low end builds up nice which gives the bike excellent traction which goes into a killer mid range punch. All with forward motion. The bike keeps providing a perfect combination of torque and revs through to a killer top end run out.

Plus the bike in stock form runs pump gas and is reliable. Perfect power band.

• Like 1

Ok you bastards!  Time to get a four stroke!  You can pop the front tire at 2000 RPM.  Slaydirt is not a lier  I'm older than him.  I know!  He's probalbly ripping around town on concrete avoiding the cops LOL.  Best mod for more power if your pinning your 250 is to sell and find an older cr500!

Edited by bikedad1

yea, i didnt read your post, yet i made sure to italicize the main point of my post? harryhandshake and myself as well as many others id bet get a kick out of posts like those because guys say "i cant keep the front wheel down in 5th gear". i as well as many others would assume you were talking about power wheelies since yanking the handle bars to pull a wheel would indicate nothing. i dont even call people out on this usually i just move on, but harryhandshake had me laughing pretty good when a guy posted a video of "power wheelies" in every gear with 3/4 of the seat showing through his gopro...

yea, i need help on my jetting, please dude. youre still stuck with the s9 nozzle @ 5000', that tells me everything i need to know right there. 3 different friends with 01's, not a one has the stock s9 nozzle left in it anymore and for good reason. you can ask my 01 guys how their bike runs vs the s9 nozzle at sea level, let alone 5k ft.

please dude, a 92 yz250 vs my 13 250sx, my 00 cr250, my friends 3 different 01 cr250's, an 06 crf450, and an 07 crf450, yea that 92 yz250 will output those 450's for sure...

to the OP: just do some searches on jetting the 01's. there is a ton of posts on here about it and ive posted in many of them (both sea level and 3500' jetting) and not with the attitude i have right now ?

i had a 92 yz before and current bikes that i have in my garage. the yz would pop a wheelie even me sitting on the tank EASLY. dont talk if you havent owned one yet. anyone here that has owned a 92 knows what power it had. that particluar 92 i had has the most compression of all the 250s iv owned. like phisically the kickstart was very hard to kick. i could hardly kick it the normal way.

oh yeah, my ktm and 01 ported  CR comes up power wheelie on the pavement easliy.

Lol this post just keeps getting better and better, I'm running an s7 nozzle in my bike, I've rebuilt and tuned bottom and top end of 2 of the 2 strokes that we currently own I've been riding pretty close to 35 years and other than the entertainment value of continuing to respond to this post I don't really care if some punk calling him self the king of a certain kind of motor believes my bike lofts the front end in top gear our not, maybe one of these days I'll have my wife film me riding my cr up our hard packed dirt road and ride a wheelie for you, until then I look forward to your next post of ignorance hahaha

Ok its a 45 plus HP bike that weighs about 220 pounds why wouldn't out pull wheelies in 5th...I have the v force reed system sst pipe q tech silencer and a 10oz flywheel weight and a well jetted carb...why be a hater I'm a 43 year old man with no need to lie on a forum to get approval hahaha

I have a brand new cylinder and head, brand new wiseco top and bottom end, vforce3 reed cage and reeds, well jetted pwk 38mm AS, new tires, new clutch, new promotion clutch cable, fmf gnarly, fmf power core silencer, and I run race fuel too. My bike runs pretty crisp up until lately. Until I messed with the jetting and my bike does not do or never did wheelies in 5th. It lifts up until 3rd.

I have a brand new cylinder and head, brand new wiseco top and bottom end, vforce3 reed cage and reeds, well jetted pwk 38mm AS, new tires, new clutch, new promotion clutch cable, fmf gnarly, fmf power core silencer, and I run race fuel too. My bike runs pretty crisp up until lately. Until I messed with the jetting and my bike does not do or never did wheelies in 5th. It lifts up until 3rd.

Are the v force reeds and cage worth it?

I didnt mean to start an argument guys..

this is the internet, this is where petty arguments live, if a thread on a public forum didn't spark an argument, something is seriously wrong....

no worries, I know what you meant, I've seen the countless posts of people claiming their bike will pull powerwheelies in all gears, regardless of gearing, after bolting on a pipe or reeds... it gets old fast, not even my CR500 will pull TRUE powerwheelies in all gears, it will wheelie with ease with a little tug though, a 250\450 will require a slightly firmer tug, but you should still be able to lift the frontwheel in all gears if you want to.

but sort-of back to topic: no bolt-on performance mod will be a drastic change in power, if you want a substantial increase\shift in power, you need to look into porting and milling, no pipe or reedcage can outperform a decent portjob.

• Like 1

edit: deleted. not going to go any further.

I didnt mean to start an argument guys..

as stated, its the internet. seriously didnt mean to shit all over your thread but its kind of what we do, usually by accident. there is a TON of info on these bikes on the net. they are popular for a reason, they really are that good, 2nd gen frame and all. i sent you a PM.

Edited by mynewcr250

A fun 24hr distraction...if your looking for a big power boost look into a big bore kit our year cr is one of the last year that the 295 kit is available for...with the second gen frame suspension tuning is probably high on the list for the best easy to go faster on your bike though

ok back to topic.

seriously, what do you need to accomplish with the 01 motor?

The bike wouldnt make it up sand mountain in little sahara utah without a paddle and my uncle said it should. Maybe it would have with a paddle but it bugs me. like its missing something. So im gonna check the reeds and do a compression test

The bike wouldnt make it up sand mountain in little sahara utah without a paddle and my uncle said it should. Maybe it would have with a paddle but it bugs me. like its missing something. So im gonna check the reeds and do a compression test

well, alot of things here that's a bit vague.

first of all, are you struggling on hillclimbs because you lack traction or power? that's 2 very different things, all the power in the world won't really help you if you are just spinning the tire halfway up the hill, deep sand requires both traction and power.

you say you are gonna check the reeds and do an compression test, is the bike not running right? does it struggle with revving out? does it bog? ping? if you suspect an issue with the bike, fix this first before considering any mods.

and lastly, don't listen to your uncle, it's an uncles role and right to tell stories that are complete bullsh*t and make claims that have no base in reality, I know since I'm an uncle myself, you would not believe the crap I've told my sisters kids over the years...

• Like 1

Are the v force reeds and cage worth it?

IMO, reeds and pipes are all a waste of money when it comes to bikes.  Honda spends tons of money researching the perfect combination for their bikes to make them run the best for the setup that they create.  If you want to spend good money on your bike, call up Eric Gorr or a good 2 stroke tuner and find out how much they charge for porting.  That will give you real power and not just change how the stock power is delivered.  Eric Gorr charges $225 for a full port package.  Compare that with $200+ for a pipe and $150 for reed blocks.

Oh and by the way, after the work on my 06 by Gorr, mine will wheelie in 4th gear with no effort; on the pavement.  I was goofing off on it on my street yesterday and sitting in neutral position on the street going through the gears, it pulled the front end up without tugging on the bars or making any effort to pull a wheelie, my 05 450 will do that in 3rd but not 4th.

Edited by frdbtr
  • Like 1