Sign in to follow this  

Carrying Extra Fuel - Fuel Bladder / Rotopax / IMS Tank / Acerbis Tank

I know many of you guys are swapping out tanks for the extra capacity IMS or using Rotopax type fuel containers. I found a MIL spec fuel bladder that works well and I thought I'd post it as an option. My need to carry extra fuel is occasional.... Maybe only 2 or 3 rides per year where its necessary. I ordered this from liquidcontainment.com.au/ They also have a few other types to choose from. It holds a total of 7 liters or 1.84 gallons. This extra fuel gives me about a 200 mile range during my backcountry riding. It is pretty light weight and fits inside my medium sized backpack. It collapses flat or can be folded when empty. A removable spout is also inside the filler neck. I have used this recently on a couple rides and it worked great! It did not leak any fuel or fumes during use. With shipping to the USA it cost $99.00

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Red Rider-
  • Like 9

I also only need the extra gas once ot twice a year so i have both a one gallon and a two gallon gas cans i put into the box on the back as needed--works for me --maybe 8 bucks total cost too!! :thumbsup::ride:

• Like 2

I know many of you guys are swapping out tanks for the extra capacity IMS or using Rotopax type fuel containers. I found a MIL spec fuel bladder that works well and I thought I'd post it as an option. My need to carry extra fuel is occasional.... Maybe only 2 or 3 rides per year where its necessary. I ordered this from liquidcontainment.com.au/ They also have a few other types to choose from. It holds a total of 7 liters or 1.84 gallons. This extra fuel gives me about a 200 mile range during my backcountry riding. It is pretty light weight and fits inside my medium sized backpack. It collapses flat or can be folded when empty. A removable spout is also inside the filler neck. I have used this recently on a couple rides and it worked great! It did not leak any fuel or fumes during use. With shipping to the USA it cost $99.00

Wow, I like this, and almost doubles the tank capacity!!!

is there an ebay site for this?????

• Like 1

Wow, I like this, and almost doubles the tank capacity!!!

is there an ebay site for this?????

I haven't seen one on ebay.

I have been packing a small one gallon fuel can (plastic) in my large backpack while riding off road. Ethanol free gas has little fumes so it was fine. Last ride I carried std pump gas with ethanol in same can. Fumes entered my water bladder creating foul tasting water. It was hot and remote so I drank it anyway. I burped fuel vapor rest of day. Ima little hesitant on anything other than metal to fully contain fumes.

• Like 4

I have been packing a small one gallon fuel can (plastic) in my large backpack while riding off road. Ethanol free gas has little fumes so it was fine. Last ride I carried std pump gas with ethanol in same can. Fumes entered my water bladder creating foul tasting water. It was hot and remote so I drank it anyway. I burped fuel vapor rest of day. Ima little hesitant on anything other than metal to fully contain fumes.

Thats why mine goes in the box on the back--On my Baja trips i used metal Coleman gas containers and left them beside the road (they throw trash everywhere down there) and someone always picked them up to use--never ruptured one on a crash either--

• Like 3

it seems like you would need a funnel?  or is that neck big enough for a typical unleaded pump nozzle?

It's no problem to fill it at the pump. The removable spout that stores inside slides out while fueling... it then slides back in for storage and the top cap goes back on. I don't fill it up all the way. I leave a little space at the top and burp all the extra air out. I've had no expansion or fume problems. After 60 miles of riding I pour the fuel into the bike so I don't have to carry it around. The bladder collapses flat when empty and can be folded or rolled up. Beats carrying around a bulky empty container. Works for me!

• Like 6

If they really are"military grade" bladders they are tough stuff --I had to depose of a morter round that hit a 500 gallon bladder of fuel at Khe Sanh and bounced off--couldn't explode it there so i dug a 3 foot deep hole with a backhoe and buryed it --bet it's still there--had a black rubber mark on it too!! fun times :smashpc::rolleyes:

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 5

the white tank is a neat one :thumbsup: ...i'll be ordering soon!

I really do not need it but, I too love the looks of positron007's bike ...  :thumbsup:  and the extra gallon would be nice to have onboard ...  :prof:

• Like 1

I got my bladder from these guys, one of the better things I have bought! Big tank--who needs them!

Liquid Containment

info@liquidcontainment.com.au

www.liquidcontainment.com.au

• Like 1

Coming a bit late here.

I have both the rotopax and IMS tank, and much prefer having the IMS tank.

I still use the Rotopax but very rarely now, before I got the IMS tank, I had to take the rotopax jerry on every ride. The bike handles so much better with the weight in the middle of the bike.

Just one thing I should mention. When you get the tank from IMS it will look tan/off-white. You need to leave it out in the sun for about a week so it goes white.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 2