Sign in to follow this  

Basic Questions

Hey TT,

Firstly I'd like to thank this forum for being such a good source of info.

From what i've read in the past week i convinced myself to buy this:

gc5541542859995228200.jpg

gc4897891388433072116.jpg

2011 DRZ400SM

Instead of a brand new bike, both same price!!

I have a few newbie questions.

Q1. The thing that worries me the most is when i open up too fast from idling the bike bogs down and cuts out (not a good thing when pulling out past oncoming traffic). running too rich or lean? dirty jets? or?

Q2. I want to replace both oil drain plugs with magnetic ones, i cant find an Australian source that has both? aluminium washers would be a bonus

Q3. hypothetically if i ran on reserve fuel all day from a full tank will i get the full 14L or 4L?

Q4. i want the bike to last as long as possible, other then maintenance what other tricks are there, ie running lean on fuel to reduce temp, or maybe run 95 octane instead of 98?

Edited by skept

Im very intrested in your overflow tank! Its very full with coolant has it gone back into the rads? If not erm thats a problem ,,, but yea the bike looks clean :D the problem i think is pull the carb and see what jet sizes there are then report back. Either the pilot jet is not big enough or its blocked.

"hypothetically if i ran on reserve fuel all day from a full tank will i get the full 14L or 4L?"

You will get the full 14L.

BUT! Don't ever do it! my bike is stuck right now because I did it by mistake.

Apparently last time I went dirt riding with friends, I ran out of fuel on the way there and switched to reserve.

Reached the gas station that we met at before going to the desert, fueled up and forgot to switch the petcock to ON.

The reserve works like that, ON is a shorter hose, and reserve is a longer hose, so when you go below a certain amount of fuel, the ON hose wont reach the fuel at the bottom of the tank, and once you go to reserve, you reach the fuel that is on the bottom of the tank.

So what happend is I forgot to switch to ON, and stayed on reserve, the bottom of the fuel tank contains all the dirt and rubbish, so because I stayed on reserve for too long, apparently dirt got sucked into my carb and got stuck in my carb so now its jammed, I need to clean my carb now.

I can tell it was a real pain in the ass being stuck in the middle of the desert with your bike not willing to start or move.

Skept , the bogging problem is the pumper on your FCR . It needs adjusting and possibly tie wiring to the arm so it moves when it should , read up on it on the website ( the o ring mod ) . You might want to do the coast enrichener aswell . Does it have the 3x3 mod done to it ? If not , do that aswell

The bike should already have a magnetic sump plug , my 08 does .

As black chaos said you will use the whole tank if you run on reserve all of the time .

Maintenance is the key for longevity and some luck . I see your bike has an athena barrell on it , does it have a big bore ? Do you know the compression ratio ? This will determine what fuel you have to use so the bike doesnt ping . Change the oil regularly at 1000 mile or kilometer ( if you want ) intervals and use a new oil filter everytime . Have a read of the FAQ section and do the loctite fixes .

As long as your coolant tank was filled up by you or the previous owner , you will be fine , but if it is filling up when you ride and even has oil in it , then you may have a blown head gasket . Keep an eye on it . Just because the previous owner has fit the most expensive big bore , doesnt mean it will seal unless the proper precautions were taken and most bike shops just dont do them . Can you see the head gasket ? Is it a copper colour ? It should be coated with a copper spray to aid it sealing . I would also check the tension on the head bolts , the factory manual says 32 ft lbs , it is a typo it should be 43 . 

I hate to say this but if you paid the same price as a new bike , then you were ripped off , it should have only cost you about 6-7 grand not the 8-9 that they cost new . This is just my opinion and I do think it looks very hot , but I would have bought something cheaper and fitted an MRD , CW BB , FCR/MX and hotcams , all of which would have cost less . How many K`s are on it ? It looks like the previous owner has done a lot of cosmetic work on it . Hope you are enjoying it anyway and it gives you many good rides , greg  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

i'll do the o ring mod, check jet sizes and ill report back.

yes, it has a big bore

The bike only has 7500kms on it and the previous owner was like a bike selling god. he maintained the bike better then an airbus A380, plus the bike came with all the original parts, oils filters, and sparkplugs. so im happy with $9000 cash.

Dr. Z  :banana:

Q1. The thing that worries me the most is when i open up too fast from idling the bike bogs down and cuts out (not a good thing when pulling out past oncoming traffic). running too rich or lean? dirty jets? or?

Check current carb settings and report back (list jet sizes and needle id, noting clip position from top)

Q2. I want to replace both oil drain plugs with magnetic ones, i cant find an Australian source that has both? aluminium washers would be a bonus

The stock engine drain bolt should be magnetic type oem

Q3. hypothetically if i ran on reserve fuel all day from a full tank will i get the full 14L or 4L?

Hitting reserve is an indicator that you are low on fuel, probably not a good idea to lose this feature...

Q4. i want the bike to last as long as possible, other then maintenance what other tricks are there, ie running lean on fuel to reduce temp, or maybe run 95 octane instead of 98?

Frequent oil and filter changes , valve clearance checks and general maintenance will aid longevity...95 or better will keep your engine happy... :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

i'll do the o ring mod, check jet sizes and ill report back.

yes, it has a big bore

The bike only has 7500kms on it and the previous owner was like a bike selling god. he maintained the bike better then an airbus A380, plus the bike came with all the original parts, oils filters, and sparkplugs. so im happy with $9000 cash.

Dr. Z  :banana:

This bike has been advertised for a very long time.

I went to look at it about 5 months ago.

Try knock him down to $7500 cash if you haven't already bought it.

Don't rush into it all I had to wait for about 3 months to find a reasonably priced one.

I managed to get a 2012 model with 5000kms for MUCH less then $9000

Edited by harry9395