Sign in to follow this  

Little 80 issues

So I have a 2001 CR 80(small wheel) great little bike but....I have some carb issues.

1. I have the idle screw buried all the way in and now it idles fine. If that's normal than I'm ok with it but it just boesnt seem right. And if it is out to all the way it won't idle at all. I just want it to idle for a little bit.

2. This is my first 80 (it's actually my son's) but was wondering if its normal for it to be a hard transition to get into the power band. It would be nice not to have it so "rough" before the power band.

I have the clip in the 3rd position. One up on the main. And stock pilot

The bike has a Fatty and with turbine core silencer. Also has a Vforce reed. Any help or direction you guys could point me in would be great. Thanks

Sounded ok except for the stock pilot. sounds like it needs some more fuel. As long as the engine is in good condition and sealed up.

Opening the screw is giving it more air and if it doesnt want that I would say it could be lean. just my .02

Edited by izcain

So I have a 2001 CR 80(small wheel) great little bike but....I have some carb issues. 1. I have the idle screw buried all the way in and now it idles fine. If that's normal than I'm ok with it but it just boesnt seem right. And if it is out to all the way it won't idle at all. I just want it to idle for a little bit. 2. This is my first 80 (it's actually my son's) but was wondering if its normal for it to be a hard transition to get into the power band. It would be nice not to have it so "rough" before the power band. I have the clip in the 3rd position. One up on the main. And stock pilotThe bike has a Fatty and with turbine core silencer. Also has a Vforce reed. Any help or direction you guys could point me in would be great. Thanks

Are you setting the idle screw or air screw?

You might check the pilot to see if it is plugged.  clean the carb really good.  Pro circuit jetting recommendations say to leave all settings stock except to put the air screw at 1 3/4 turns out.  Of course those recommendations are at sea level.

I will have to check the carb again. My son and I are going to start our first race together soon. But I want to make sure his bike is in tip top shape before he enters. I've usually been able to dial carbs in but this one is really kicking my butt. I will double check the air screw and maybe even take it back to stock jetting. I plan on getting the motor ported also. But if I can't get it running right that will have to wait

Idle screw should never be screwed all the way in, something else is wrong.

I just pulled it out (idle screw) the spring had a bunch of gunk on it. Cleaned it back up and actually idles without it being all the way in. But if you could think of anything else I am opened