Sign in to follow this  

Dunlop Geomax AT81

Anyone see this tire yet? Its got my attention as I will be shopping for tires on my 300 soon. My original plan was to mount a set of Scorpion extra X on the bike. I've had great success with them on my 450 in the desert, but I just saw this tire from Dunlop in an email from Slavens racing. Anyone plan on giving these a try?

RM has them for $74.... The side walls look good for a AT but the centers knobs look weak like they will wear fast.

Here is my OEM geomax m51 after 225 miles of riding . I am hard on tires , lots of rocky decsents and climbing.

IMG_6360.jpg

I think the AT 81 looks like it will grip desert terrain well ! Just not enough rubber in the middle to last long in my enviroments. If the AT81 had center knobs like the maxis ITDesert I would be all over it !

I am running this tire on a 12 KTM 250 xcf and have had it on for 2 enduros and multiple trail rides. I am not a fan of Dunlop tires , I typically run kendas And got a very good deal on this tire so I had to try it, but this tire is holding up really well in the rocky single track conditions I ride in. I am running it with a bib and the knobs are just starting to round after 350+ miles.

• Like 1

My opinion of dunlops has been that they work well ! And to be honest I get sick of the Dunlop brand discontinuing tires like the K490 , what a great Dez tire for the front and hard terrain in general . Give me a new K490 and the maxis dez IT and I am good. :)

I think the AT 81 looks like it will grip desert terrain well ! Just not enough rubber in the middle to last long in my enviroments. If the AT81 had center knobs like the maxis ITDesert I would be all over it !

The desert IT is another one of my favorite tires. I like the hook up I get from the scorpion extra x a little better but I like the firm sidewall of the desert IT which the scorpion lacks. I'm willing to give one of these Dunlop's a shot though.

They have a desert RC model that has a stiffer sidewall than just the AT81.

Tried an AT 81 RC.  I'll say is i am stock piling 739 AT Desert rears...  Not a huge fan after running the 739 for years I think it is better for hard pack and rocks.  The parallel treads have the same feel as a Pirelli XCMS while sliding/hanging it out on hard pack.  They grip going forwards fine but feel more washout prone than a 739.  I think the difference is the staggered blocks in the 739.  Note- I sipe the hell out of my 739's

I am running the AT-81 front with Tubliss and set my pressure cold to 7psi so its about 9 to 10 once things warm up. I ride mostly single track with rocks, root, and ruts. I like the tire so far and have about 200 miles on it however i am noticing that the carcass in the sidewalls is breaking down a bit and now i am having to put more PSI in the tire. I will probably go back to running an bridgestone M59 soon.

On the rear i run tubliss with a 739 AT at 0 psi cold so about 3 psi when warm. trials like traction with all the benefits of a knobby, this tire with Tubliss is the shiz!