Sign in to follow this  

2000 KX125 won't push start or kick start need help!

At fist the dirt bike wouldnt kick start the kickstarter would go down with VERY little force. so I push started it and it was working just fine all day then I went down a hill and the rear wheel locked up and the bike stopped and the motor was smoking and it smelled like burnt rubber or something I then push started it again and it started up I rode down to my house and it stopped I tried to push start it again several times and it wouldn't start. I tried again today and it wouldn't start it would start a little bit then die and sound like it blew air out of the back or something. The kickstart still goes down down with VERY little force but it won't push start now I need help I just want to ride...

At minimum a top end. While you are in the motor check the rod for play. If out of wack then split the motor and rebuild bottom.

alright will do thank you everyone kept telling me the motor was seized I didn't understand because my kick start would still go down

Disassemble the top end. When the jug and piston are removed, the rod should be jutting up outa the bottom end like an erection. Grab that rod like every 13 year old boy can, move it side to side. There should be just a little play.

The slightest play oughta be in the rod bearing to allow expansion room as the motor heats up. Pull up and down on the rod, if there is anymore than just a bit of play in the bottom bearing, gotta rebuild top and bottom.

The key to maintaining a 125 is replacing the piston every 40 hrs, or less if ur an expert.

Disassemble the top end. When the jug and piston are removed, the rod should be jutting up outa the bottom end like an erection. Grab that rod like every 13 year old boy can, move it side to side. There should be just a little play.

The slightest play oughta be in the rod bearing to allow expansion room as the motor heats up. Pull up and down on the rod, if there is anymore than just a bit of play in the bottom bearing, gotta rebuild top and bottom.

The key to maintaining a 125 is replacing the piston every 40 hrs, or less if ur an expert.

I have never rebuilt a 2-stroke or any Dirtbike for that matter. So I have no idea what you are talking about when you say the rod should have play.

I have never rebuilt a 2-stroke or any Dirtbike for that matter. So I have no idea what you are talking about when you say the rod should have play.

Take off the gas tank. Remove radiator hoses that are connected to the cylinder. Take off all bolts on top if piston. The cylinder should slide off once it's all loosened. Then the puts on wil be connected to the rod, sticking up above the bottom end if motor. Put rag over the exposed bottom end so nothing falls in there. Remove piston from rod.

Now you can test rod. It should wiggle side to side, but not up and down. Checkout YouTube and you'll find plenty of videos showing you the step by step process so you won't be doing this blind. It's easy after the 1st piston you replace.

Take off the gas tank. Remove radiator hoses that are connected to the cylinder. Take off all bolts on top if piston. The cylinder should slide off once it's all loosened. Then the puts on wil be connected to the rod, sticking up above the bottom end if motor. Put rag over the exposed bottom end so nothing falls in there. Remove piston from rod.

Now you can test rod. It should wiggle side to side, but not up and down. Checkout YouTube and you'll find plenty of videos showing you the step by step process so you won't be doing this blind. It's easy after the 1st piston you replace.

Okay thank you for explaining it to me! Everyone kept telling me the motor seized but when I looked it up everything said "if the mother is seized then the kickstart won't move"

Okay thank you for explaining it to me! Everyone kept telling me the motor seized but when I looked it up everything said "if the mother is seized then the kickstart won't move"

You may have just scored ur cylinder badly, which is the beginning of a full blown seizure. All you can do is take it apart, get a good opinion about where to go after that. Where do you live??

You may have just scored ur cylinder badly, which is the beginning of a full blown seizure. All you can do is take it apart, get a good opinion about where to go after that. Where do you live??

ah I see alright I will try and take it apart tomorrow and I live in Kentucky

hey I figured I would get back with you and tell you I have it in the shop getting rebuilt for 300 dollars the guy said the piston was a bit too small or something like that an. The cylinder had some scratches on it as well so the guy is going to bore it out and put a bigger piston on it or something.

hey I figured I would get back with you and tell you I have it in the shop getting rebuilt for 300 dollars the guy said the piston was a bit too small or something like that an. The cylinder had some scratches on it as well so the guy is going to bore it out and put a bigger piston on it or something.

Make sure the bike is jetted properly.  Talk to the dealership about how to get the jetting spot on, then be sure to change that piston every 50 hours if riding.  Or ever 35 hours if you are a good rider and on the pipe a lot.

Keep me updated on how the bike works out!  Thanks

Make sure the bike is jetted properly. Talk to the dealership about how to get the jetting spot on, then be sure to change that piston every 50 hours if riding. Or ever 35 hours if you are a good rider and on the pipe a lot.

Keep me updated on how the bike works out! Thanks

Alright I'll ask them that when I go to the shop on the first! I will keep you updated about it.

Just to let you know and make this guy does not screw you over...The stock jug is nikasiled and can not be bored unless he has it replated. If the jug has been sleeved by PO then it can be. Verify the guy knows what he is doing.