2014 150sx Throttle Getting Stuck at Wide Open with 7 hours on the bike.

First and foremost, I love this bike. I sold a 2013 RM-Z 450 to get this and I haven't smiled so much until today!  I went off of a table top at a local mx track and after the landing there is a 40 yard straight into a right hander.  As soon as I landed and got on the gas the throttle stuck wide opened, I grabbed a hand full of front brake, then clutch and kill switch.  Scared the crap out of me! Just glad it was on a straight and not up the face of a jump.  The bike started right up after that and did not stick on start up. The problem is it happened 3 more times before I called it a day.  Now I'm at home doing some research.  I noticed there is a recall for the 2013 two stroke throttle housing.  It appears that they didn't fix it for 2014. I saw some posts about safety wiring the cable or getting a motion pro cable.  I'm going to check with my dealer and see what they say.  This definitely took some confidence out of me.  Just when I started to get comfortable jumping on a two stroke, this happens.  Now I'm worried it's going to get stuck on the face and loop me out.  The other thing is I wonder if I damaged the pistons during these episodes.  Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't feel like it has as much snap now, I don't know.  Any idea's?  I'm all ears.

Thanks! 

I have a 2013 KTM 250sx that had the recall. After having it fixed it has not been an issue though the 2013 throttle cable routes down the right side of the frame where the 2012 and earlier models route down the left causing issues. I'm shocked your 2014 didn't come with the recall already done but make sure it has been fixed! Also, what did you like/dislike about your RMZ? I would like to get a 450 so I have both a 2 and 4 stroke

• Like 1

I checked and my throttle cable routes down the right side as well.  I would expect that the recall fix has been done, just wondering why I'm having the symptoms.  I'm going to call the dealer this week.  With regards to my RMZ, I hated the suspension(especially the fork) even after a couple of revalve's.  Before the RMZ, I had a 2011 YZ450f and the suspension was awesome.  After having two 450's, I figured I needed something lighter and with that, allow me to ride longer.  I considered the 2014 yz250f, but decided on the 150sx after doing the KTM demo days.  Plus I wanted something that allowed me to be more in tune with the bike i.e. shifting and clutching.  I always felt like I was riding an automatic motorcycle with the 450's.  Pretty much ride the whole track in 3rd gear.  So far the 150sx was the best choice I have made!  People in my pit area were amazed how long I was staying out there and not coming back to rest or constantly tweaking the suspension like I used too.  I really enjoy this bike a lot.  I just need to get comfortable jumping it and fix this recent throttle issue.

Edited by too_slow

Yea I was looking into there T3 Slidelight cable.  I noticed they have an OEM length and one that is 5.3 inches longer.  Is the OEM length too short and possibly causing some issues? The 2013 recall replaced the throttle housing, throttle wheel and brass bushing, but not the cable.  

I am not sure what KTM is waiting for ... somebody to kill themselves and file a lawsuit ??

KTM ... get rid of your absolutely USELESS throttle cable routing and copy the Japanese counterparts.  How hard is it to have a throttle cable that threads into a throttle housing?  Seems Yamaha has it "figured" out on their YZ250 ?

I always find it kind of humorous how there are SO many of these posts with PROBLEMS but people LOVE their bike in the same paragraph.  KTM can do no wrong ... EVER it seems ? ?   I like my 300XC, but to me its hardly "superior" than Japanese bikes in every regard.  In some ways, yes (the aftermarket parts), in others (fit and finish), no.

To the Op ... order up the Motion Pro T3 cable and you'll never look back.   ?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/218/1243/-/34045/Motion-Pro-T3-Slidelight-Throttle-Cable-%28%2B4%22%29?term=motion%20pro%20t3

..and be done with it.

It features the +4 inches so that the cable can be routed in front of the handlebars and not behind them.  Even with the throttle recall, the way its routed can cause throttle sticking if you ride any tight trails that feature trees and branches that can get between there.  It also cannot be pulled out of the carb and/or throttle housing.

Welcome to the 150SX club!

Thanks guys! I ordered the cable and will follow up after the install and ride. 

supervokes -> "I always find it kind of humorous how there are SO many of these posts with PROBLEMS but people LOVE their bike in the same paragraph." 

I love cars, guitars, motorcycles and firm feeling women, though my old lady isn't as firm as she used to be I still love her.   :goofy:

• Like 1

First and foremost, I love this bike. I sold a 2013 RM-Z 450 to get this and I haven't smiled so much until today!  I went off of a table top at a local mx track and after the landing there is a 40 yard straight into a right hander.  As soon as I landed and got on the gas the throttle stuck wide opened, I grabbed a hand full of front brake, then clutch and kill switch.  Scared the crap out of me! Just glad it was on a straight and not up the face of a jump.  The bike started right up after that and did not stick on start up. The problem is it happened 3 more times before I called it a day.  Now I'm at home doing some research.  I noticed there is a recall for the 2013 two stroke throttle housing.  It appears that they didn't fix it for 2014. I saw some posts about safety wiring the cable or getting a motion pro cable.  I'm going to check with my dealer and see what they say.  This definitely took some confidence out of me.  Just when I started to get comfortable jumping on a two stroke, this happens.  Now I'm worried it's going to get stuck on the face and loop me out.  The other thing is I wonder if I damaged the pistons during these episodes.  Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't feel like it has as much snap now, I don't know.  Any idea's?  I'm all ears.

Thanks!

I'm curious did it stick open the last 3 times in the exact manner as the first (after a jump landing, and after you twisted it wide open)? Or were there different circumstances?

FWIW your 14' and the stock 13' KTM cable is attached at both ends, so the motion pro cable you purchased isn't going to be any different in that regard. If you got the 5" longer version then it will be longer but think about that and ask yourself, how does that really help? and Why hasn't every KTM 2 stroke owner had the same problem as you? The throttle housing was recalled for the 13' models, the 14's won't come with the same defective throttle housing. That's not to say that a different problem with the throttle housing doesn't exist. I don't mean to play devils advocate here but feel you should be aware that there are some who have replaced their stock cable with the same motion pro cable that you just bought and they still had the throttle stick!!! So is there any chance that you or someone else had the carb/bike apart and things didn't get put back the way they should have?

• Like 2

I'm curious did it stick open the last 3 times in the exact manner as the first (after a jump landing, and after you twisted it wide open)? Or were there different circumstances?

FWIW your 14' and the stock 13' KTM cable is attached at both ends, so the motion pro cable you purchased isn't going to be any different in that regard. If you got the 5" longer version then it will be longer but think about that and ask yourself, how does that really help? and Why hasn't every KTM 2 stroke owner had the same problem as you? The throttle housing was recalled for the 13' models, the 14's won't come with the same defective throttle housing. That's not to say that a different problem with the throttle housing doesn't exist. I don't mean to play devils advocate here but feel you should be aware that there are some who have replaced their stock cable with the same motion pro cable that you just bought and they still had the throttle stick!!! So is there any chance that you or someone else had the carb/bike apart and things didn't get put back the way they should have?

The first two times were in the same location, third after a whoop section and fourth another straight.  The manner was the same each time, twisted the throttle wide open and it stuck open even when I twisted the throttle closed.  I pulled in the clutch and pressed the kill switch to save it.  Scary stuff! The bike is currently at the shop getting checked out.  Hopefully they find something.

I'm not sure why every KTM 2 stroke owner doesn't have the same problem.  I purchased the only 2014 150sx in the 3 KTM dealers in this state.  Maybe there is not that many out there yet and not everyone knows about this forum to post a problem.  I doubt that every 2013 owner had the recall symptoms before getting it fixed.  I put 7 hours on the bike at two different tracks and the problem didn't start happening until the last half hour.  If people are changing the cable on 2013's with the recall fix and they are still getting the throttle to stick, then there is definite problem that has not been rectified. The first thing I did to the bike was install an hour meter and change the needle position for our altitude. I'll follow up with the dealer report.

I have a 13 150SX and my stock cable was NOT attached at both ends (not sure of the 14s).  I did in fact order the T3 cable and the routing is indeed much better than stock.  Ive heard numerous stories of things getting caught up in the stock routing because there is so much more room than if its routed the "correct" way.  Also the stock routing can play havoc with certain types of steering stabs.  My 150 also stuck once, and it was due to the cable coming out of the top of the carb (recall was done before the bike even left the floor).  No sticking since the install of the MP cable and the $30 was more than worth it just for the confidence factor.

The first two times were in the same location, third after a whoop section and fourth another straight.  The manner was the same each time, twisted the throttle wide open and it stuck open even when I twisted the throttle closed.  I pulled in the clutch and pressed the kill switch to save it.  Scary stuff! The bike is currently at the shop getting checked out.  Hopefully they find something.

I'm not sure why every KTM 2 stroke owner doesn't have the same problem.  I purchased the only 2014 150sx in the 3 KTM dealers in this state.  Maybe there is not that many out there yet and not everyone knows about this forum to post a problem.  I doubt that every 2013 owner had the recall symptoms before getting it fixed.  I put 7 hours on the bike at two different tracks and the problem didn't start happening until the last half hour.  If people are changing the cable on 2013's with the recall fix and they are still getting the throttle to stick, then there is definite problem that has not been rectified. The first thing I did to the bike was install an hour meter and change the needle position for our altitude. I'll follow up with the dealer report.

Thanks for the reply, and I agree it is scary stuff! I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to accomplish the save prior to something bad happening. I think it was a good decision on your part to take it back to the dealer and at least give them a shot, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Which dealer are we talking about anyway? So it sounds as though the thing sticks after you've twisted it wide open, then mysteriously unsticks itself and returns to the closed position once the engine is killed, is that correct? Your right about the 13' recall as there were those who never experienced the problem. Unfortunately reports of sticking throttles surfaced long before the 13' model year.

Thanks for the reply, and I agree it is scary stuff! I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to accomplish the save prior to something bad happening. I think it was a good decision on your part to take it back to the dealer and at least give them a shot, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Which dealer are we talking about anyway? So it sounds as though the thing sticks after you've twisted it wide open, then mysteriously unsticks itself and returns to the closed position once the engine is killed, is that correct? Your right about the 13' recall as there were those who never experienced the problem. Unfortunately reports of sticking throttles surfaced long before the 13' model year.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer and your synopsis of my events are correct.

I have a 13 150SX and my stock cable was NOT attached at both ends (not sure of the 14s). I did in fact order the T3 cable and the routing is indeed much better than stock. Ive heard numerous stories of things getting caught up in the stock routing because there is so much more room than if its routed the "correct" way. Also the stock routing can play havoc with certain types of steering stabs. My 150 also stuck once, and it was due to the cable coming out of the top of the carb (recall was done before the bike even left the floor). No sticking since the install of the MP cable and the $30 was more than worth it just for the confidence factor.

Weird, one of the first things I checked was that the throttle cable was connected at both ends, and it is. I had an 03 125sx and that one pulled out on both ends. Wondering why mine is attatched and yours isn't (wasn't)?

I had about 10 hrs on my bike when I had the recall work done, never had any issues with my throttle sticking.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

I have a 13 150SX and my stock cable was NOT attached at both ends (not sure of the 14s).  I did in fact order the T3 cable and the routing is indeed much better than stock.  Ive heard numerous stories of things getting caught up in the stock routing because there is so much more room than if its routed the "correct" way.  Also the stock routing can play havoc with certain types of steering stabs.  My 150 also stuck once, and it was due to the cable coming out of the top of the carb (recall was done before the bike even left the floor).  No sticking since the install of the MP cable and the $30 was more than worth it just for the confidence factor.

I would say either you didn't have the 13' cable or yours had come lose. From @98' to 11' KTM used the same throttle cable, similar to Honda's cable but shorter and routed differently, it wasn't attached at either end. In 12' KTM changed to a new cable which was attached but only at one end (throttle side). For 13' the cable changed again, this time the cable was attached at both ends (throttle and carb) and is routed down the right side of the frame. I bought the stock 13' cable and installed it on my 11' 250 SX so I know the 13' cable is attached to the adjusters at both ends. I'm certain that if one was to pull hard enough on any of these "attached" throttle cables they could be yanked out from their attachment. I also think that if we install after market goodies on our bikes which conflict with stock components it increases the potential for a problem. So if were mounting items that catch on the throttle cable then we need to address that, and yes a longer cable and a conventional routing may be the best answer, but lets not blame the manufacturer for what we do. In your case it's good you know what caused your throttle to stick (cable pulled out of top of carb). Do you know what your cable caught on that caused it to pull out of the carb?

• Like 2

I just got off the phone with the dealer and they inspected the throttle housing, cable, throttle slide and said everything looks good.  They confirmed the throttle housing is the newer version.  They rode the bike a couple of times and said they could not get it to stick.  I asked them if they contacted KTM and they said they didn't.  So I asked why not and they put on the phone with the guy that rode the bike.  I explained what was happening to me again and he said he didn't know it was that bad....go figure.  He said he is going to call KTM and let me know what they say.  I asked him if he has my contact number.  He replied with the wrong phone number(one digit was off due to the service writer's poor handwriting).  In the mean time they broke the clutch lever, fuel hose and tore the grip. They said the wind caused it to fall over, so now they have those parts on order. I also asked them if they performed an inspection on the piston and they said yea they pulled the exhaust off and the piston looks good.  Hmmm, I guess there is only one side to a piston! I think I'm going to go get my bike from these jokers!  My new motion pro cable will be delivered tomorrow. Is it me or you can't get good service anywhere these days!  I ran into service problems with my Ducati. Seems like one dealer will have a better sales team and the other a better service team, but never both.

Edited by too_slow