Sign in to follow this  

2013 250 SX Fly Wheel Weight, or not

The bike is used  for hare scrambles and woods work. Anybody running the 11 oz Stealthy fly wheel weight? Pro's and Con's?

The bike is used  for hare scrambles and woods work. Anybody running the 11 oz Stealthy fly wheel weight? Pro's and Con's?

I ran a YZ 250 in the HS's . I tried an 8 and a 12oz FWW .  As for the "Pros" i cant name any , it didnt do much for me, the bike was still an animal right off idle.

There were alot of "cons" with it. First off, it too away the freewheel feeling of a 2T , when you're modulating the throttle, chopping the throttle, gassing it, the FWW gives the bike a kind of engine braking and also makes the bike want to "baby buggy" which upsets the suspension. The FWW also introduces more gyroscopic force than you'd think ...after all it's almost a pound spinning at anywhere between 2000 and 10,000 Rpm and I noticed the bike didnt lay over as easy...then when youre in single track and you're quickly laying the bike over left right left right between obstacles this added gyroscopic force fights you. This is why a spinning top doesnt fall over easy. I tried a few other things and nothing worked to tame the bike. Then I tried a G2 Pro long throw throttle tube , Motion Pro also makes one ,  I put the 400 cam in it which is the longest and immediately the bike was more manageable. Then I removed the Fww and it only got better. Now the "baby buggy effect was gone, the bike laid over easier and I had much more finesse in the bottom to mid rpm's . And the great thing is that when I came out in the open, the bike was still an animal...it's just that you have to turn the throttle just a little bit more and be a little more deliberate with the throttle. This works great for HS and enduro where you need to lug or finess in the bottom, low mids .  And yes, I run an extra tooth in the rear, I fan the clutch and I have decent throttle control but on an MX bike, it's not much more than a quarter turn from idle to full throttle ...great for MX and SX but not best for HS . Do yourself a favor and try a G2 long throttle (adjustable cam) . It accomplishes what they are trying to do with a FWW without any of the negatives of a FWW .