Sign in to follow this  

Need a favor.

My stock clutch lever got banged up today ive bent it back but it feels odd,now my pinky bangs the lever, i know i didnt get the bents right, does anyone have a trace of their lever that can share ?  :rolleyes:

Buy a new one cheap ass...they're like $10 or less for a cheapy!

I know its just that we have an early trails ride, leaving about 5am so no time to get a new one

Yup, use your dad's propane torch, hook the box end of a 17mm wrench through the end of the lever, jam a large 27mm socket between the grip and the lever near the perch, heat and gently bend it back.

PS in the future only snug up the perch pinch bolts so the a brisk smack with your palm rotates the perch..

Heat makes aluminum brittle. ..don't heat it, just smack it with a hammer until the desired results are achieved

Guarantee if you take this advice you will snap the lever quicker than poop.  You heat the lever to make it pliable. Heat-n-bend is simply a quick, one time band-aid fix so you can ride... 

Edited by Polar_Bus

I've done it a thousand times! The 1 time I heated one, it snapped before I even got it straight...cast aluminum isn't like cast steel...but to each their own...i know what has worked for me in the past

You can bend it but u need to anneal it first...take it up to the temp need it to relieve the stress between the grain borders and let it cool down thus making millions of little grains instead of few big ones that cause the snaping when cold working them.