Sign in to follow this  

Chain Replacement

So I want to know what you all think. I bought my bike from a friend who passed away. It's got high end quality parts but it has a couple issues. The rear sprocket is one of the Renthal aluminum sprockets with steel teeth. But the chain is a cheap gold race chain. Every ride the chain is stretching out quite a bit and it needs to be replaced. The sprockets are still good but do show a little wear. My question is, would I go ahead and get a good o-ring or x-ring chain now or get a complete kit with chain and sprockets? All new? Or just one piece?

So I want to know what you all think. I bought my bike from a friend who passed away. It's got high end quality parts but it has a couple issues. The rear sprocket is one of the Renthal aluminum sprockets with steel teeth. But the chain is a cheap gold race chain. Every ride the chain is stretching out quite a bit and it needs to be replaced. The sprockets are still good but do show a little wear. My question is, would I go ahead and get a good o-ring or x-ring chain now or get a complete kit with chain and sprockets? All new? Or just one piece?

what do you mean every ride it stretches a little and then needs to be replaced?? You aren't adjusting it then removing links?? Adjust the chain to keep it tight then when it's bad take a few links off and use it till the sprockets are bad then get a quality chain and sprockets.

Yeah , DID make a great X ring chain + new sprockets at the same time .

Used sprockets can look ok , only when matched up to a new sprocket do you see how flogged out the old sprockets are .

Edited by backyard hack
  • Like 1

Yeah , DID make a great X ring chain + new sprockets at the same time .

Used sprockets can look ok , only when matched up to a new sprocket do you see how flogged out the old sprockets are .

That's what I figured.  I was hoping to hear otherwise but I will probably change it all to be safe.  Its just getting ridiculous.  Every ride I tighten the chain to approx the 3-finger reference.  After a few hours of riding it is over 5-6 fingers.  And this is every ride.  Usually it needs to be adjusted every couple rides, or even every ride a little.  But this is a lot each time.  I am just about maxed out on the blocks.  Cool, I will get the kit on my list and order them this winter.  Thanks.