Sign in to follow this  

Jumps from wood, timbers possible ?

I have a spot in one of my trails at my cabin, it's about a 10 ft hill, not too steep. I'd like to make a step up there but i cant get a machine down there. Is it a good or bad idea to make a jump or ramp from wood ? Has this been done ? I can get tools and a chainsaw there by quad. Theres plenty of 4" and 5" straight trees for beams/stringers . I could fasten metal grating so the ramp isnt slippery. Is this do-able or just a bad idea ? I have alot of experience framing and construction from my younger years.. I know I could build it but is it a good or bad idea ???  Thanks !

Edited by avocasingletrack

Seems guns to me. I had a several large freestyle ramps from wood and they all held up for years of hard use and the weather.

Seems guns to me. I had a several large freestyle ramps from wood and they all held up for years of hard use and the weather.

meant seems fine to me .

meant seems fine to me .

Guns ... haha yeah , it's a sign , the wood ramps are meant to be ... lol !   What dimension wood did you use , what thickness wood for the ramp part , and particular angle or arc thats better for the ramp ?  Any pics ?   I'm thinking it shouldnt just be a triangular ramp but more of a concave curve ...???  Did your ramps get slippery and if so how did you address this ? Would metal "diamond hole" grating fastened to the ramp face work ???  I know thats alot, thanks man ! 

I'm a woods guy that does only small doubles and TT's at best. Thanks again !

Guns ... haha yeah , it's a sign , the wood ramps are meant to be ... lol ! What dimension wood did you use , what thickness wood for the ramp part , and particular angle or arc thats better for the ramp ? Any pics ? I'm thinking it shouldnt just be a triangular ramp but more of a concave curve ...??? Did your ramps get slippery and if so how did you address this ? Would metal "diamond hole" grating fastened to the ramp face work ??? I know thats alot, thanks man !

I'm a woods guy that does only small doubles and TT's at best. Thanks again !

I don't have any pics off hand but I'll look tomorrow! I beleive I had 1/2 in thick and it was a concave curve . Not triangular. What I used to keep it from getting slippery is I sprayed on the "spray on truck bed liner" And it kept me from ever slipping around. For a step up like you're saying if say a slight, slight bend and keep it over 1/2 in thick (thicker, the better, don't go to thick) and I'd say the spray on bed liner once a year or so keeps it in perfect condition!
  • Like 1

Thanks much man. I didn't kno if this was do-able or just the stupidest idea ever ...haha

not a stupid idea at all.. A lot of people don't do it because of course eventually the wood will rot, yada yada yada. Get treated wood and cost it in something! Lol. Then once you get it put in place put some bed liner on it for traction.

There are big piles of old railroad ties laying around too ... I think they rot after a thousand yrs when all the poisons have leached out...lol

lol yea! Those would help a lot t

Is this on your land or public trails?  If it's on your land.....do what you want.  wood ramp/step up will last years If thick enough so don't sweat it.

Joe

• Like 2

Is this on your land or public trails?  If it's on your land.....do what you want.  wood ramp/step up will last years If thick enough so don't sweat it.

Joe

It's one one of those areas that have been ridden for years by everyone. I can do alot of things there but cant get a machine down there...lol

I can post another thread for the legalities, I just wanted to kno if wood will work. Theres all kinds of jumps all over there already , just not in this small single track area .  and I dont kno nuttin . . . . .

For sure it would work great. Easy if you've built skateboard ramps before. Maybe go to a skate ramp plan site to learn how to build the trannys.

Bedliner spray paint works great to keep it grippy when wet and its tough and cheap.

so the next thread you post will be something like...."Spare time on my hands due to broken ankle what should I do to my bike?"

Man we are getting to old to be flying around in the air. :naughty:

• Like 1

...and don't play that half sized bullshit 'round here. That will last about two weeks until the quad gets fired up to carry more supplies to build a bigger ramp...

Air_yoda.jpg

Edited by poconovfr
  • Like 1