Sign in to follow this  

Lets talk foot pegs

There has been some discussion on some of the foot peg options out there and I wanted to give guys a fair warning on the dangers of using the Pivot Pegs. Here are a few quotes from the guys that used them:

Actually I found the opposite to be true, but I admit they are not for everybody. Ran them for years on two GGs. Very natural feeling standing and leaning forward. I'm running the stock Beta race pegs now only because the pivot pegs were due for another rebuild and I sold them with the bike. Biggest negative IMO is the maintanence due to the tiny orings that fail often. You may not like them but don't bash until you try.

Seems people are very polarized on the idea of those pivot pegs. I have them on my GG and like them. Maybe not enough to but another set . Apart from that quality seems to be very good. One thing I did notice using them is, it appears my knees are a little bit more sore after a long ride which could be due to the extended mobility that they provide.

I really tried to like them. I raced with them a few seasons. Never could get used to them. I was warned time and time again from guys in my club I was headed for a crash. And then it happened. Third loop of a European Hare Scramble in February 2007. Running through a deep, whooped out, narrow, rocky sandy wash my left foot slipped of the peg and my tibial plateau snapped. This was caused by the inner spring of the lame ass Pivot pegs breaking allowing them to swing down backwards causing my foot to slip.

I might add that there is not one pro level rider that uses these things that I know of. I will be the first to admit I get caught up on gimmicky things. Just be warned that some gimmicks can cause a really painful lesson.

• Like 1

How long ago was this, maybe first generation? Mine had a travel limiter pin and slot setup and could not rotate past the normal arc even if assembled without the spring. I had a spring break and could barely notice it as as soon as my boot returned to the peg it moved to position. The arc of travel is not that long. The only way it could happen is if the locknut backed off, unlikely. If they could get a better sealing and bushing system designed in I'd try a new set. Maintanence ultimately killed my desire for replacements, not performance. It's like a damper or FlexxBars, some see more value in the results than others. Even suspension, its all personal.

• Like 1

Too many moving parts. The last thing I want to worry about is a spring, locknut, 0-ring or some other failure. I was warned, did not listen and ended up with a broken leg because of it. 

The Fasstway pegs have proven to be solid over many years of thrashing. I really like the lowboy and tilt feature to get the fit just right.

Here is kind of a cool DirtRider review of the various foot pegs:

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_1110_footpeg_buyers_guide/

Chris is right,

there is a small stud that is all that limits movement on these. After I took mine off (delivered with bike, first time off) and had a close look, I was pretty shocked at what is holding these things, pretty much nothing in terms of a solid mechanical stop. 

I know everybody gave him sh@t about his complaints on them but I now find them valid.

• Like 1

Not at all, the clutch lever cuts the pressure required to disengage the clutch by half. It sounds like those footpegs have a bunch of extra moving parts, are exorbitantly priced and are hardly different than the stock ones. The pivoting action seems like a gimmick to me.

Thats my point exactly. You have your prejudices based on your sensibilities. I simply applied the same logic to demonstrate , Don't knock it till you've tried it. If not careful I could apply a  skewed  brand of logic that dictates, who besides somebody suffering from chronic arthritis  would need a lighter clutch pull? Of course we all know know better than that but sometimes we forget. Incidentally, a bunch of extra moving parts? Apart from the foot pad having limited mobility the pegs are like all the others out there. Btw I'm not trying to school you here I'm impressed by your accomplishments for sure.  Just keep in it real buddy.

Thats my point exactly. You have your prejudices based on your sensibilities. I simply applied the same logic to demonstrate , Don't knock it till you've tried it. If not careful I could apply a  skewed  brand of logic that dictates, who besides somebody suffering from chronic arthritis  would need a lighter clutch pull? Of course we all know know better than that but sometimes we forget. Incidentally, a bunch of extra moving parts? Apart from the foot pad having limited mobility the pegs are like all the others out there. Btw I'm not trying to school you here I'm impressed by your accomplishments for sure.  Just keep in it real buddy.

Are you in a bad mood the last few days? I hope your bite is not as bad as your bark!  :crazy:  :shocked:

Chris your a shit disturber.You incited HDR as well on one occasion,re: my post.You ever think of getting a job as one of the hosts on the view or talk back seeing your never at loss for words, comments or views.  RedPillar is a grown man and accomplished rider like myself. I'm sure he wont take offence to some sincere  debate.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 1

Chris your a shit disturber.You incited HDR as well on one occasion,re: my post.You ever think of getting a job as one of the hosts on the view or talk back seeing your never at loss for words, comments or views.?

Shit disturber! Hmmm, never thought of it that way. Shame on me for having a positive outlook on the Beta.

Well I just did two days of intense mixed and extreme. I have a tenancy to get lucid and philosophical after going that intense for that long. I don't mellow out after that kind of stuff, quite the contrary. Sorry to RP for perhaps getting to intense it's just my way...