Sign in to follow this  

Bike won't start in gear

Hey guys I have a 2012 crf450r and it doesn't like to start in gear I always have to make sure it's in neutral. Sometimes I get lucky and it will start in first but that's rare. A friend said it could be an engine mapping issue. Has anyone else had this issue and/or know how to fix it?

To me its a common thing. Ive never had a 450 start good in gear. Carb or FI. they just seem to have too much clutch drag so i have always just started mine in neutral and it has never been an issue for me. There may be something to improve it, but ive never looked into it.

Hey guys I have a 2012 crf450r and it doesn't like to start in gear I always have to make sure it's in neutral. Sometimes I get lucky and it will start in first but that's rare. A friend said it could be an engine mapping issue. Has anyone else had this issue and/or know how to fix it?

Do not worry my 2012 CRF 450R also does not start in gear. I think with a rekluse or a 6-spring clutch it could be possible to start it in gear.

Edited by Ge4orce

Do not

Do not worry my 2012 CRF 450R also does not start in gear. I think with a rekluse or a 6-spring clutch it could be possible to start it in gear.

Do the 12's not come with a six spring clutch?

I've had it start in gear when its warmed up, sometimes using hot start. Its easier to kick in neutral and I try to use neutral if I am in a good spot to do so. If I stall on a hill I can start it in gear. 

For race starts I leave it in neutral, hold in the clutch, kick (no hot start if its cooled down for over 5 minutes), pull my foot up on the peg, slam it down into first, hit the throttle, and let out the clutch and GO! Quite a bit of work, but it can be done in a second or two if it starts first kick. If it doesn't start, transitioning the foot back to the ground messes up my rhythm and I end up kicking about 3 kicks.

Edited by Eric Schrader

I have a rekluse in my cr250 but I've seen a lot of guys with the Hinson racing clutch. I do a lot of off road racing and have thought about buying one. Does anyone know what's so good about Hinson? Is there another brand that compares for less money?

I have a rekluse in my cr250 but I've seen a lot of guys with the Hinson racing clutch. I do a lot of off road racing and have thought about buying one. Does anyone know what's so good about Hinson? Is there another brand that compares for less money?

Dang my 06 came with a 6 spring. Pretty gay they switched that up

even with a rekluse.. these crf450's won't consistently start in gear. Just fyi. When really warm, it's 50/50 if it will start 1st kick in gear with the rekluse. When cold ? forget it. maybe 10% chance you will get it started.

even with a rekluse.. these crf450's won't consistently start in gear. Just fyi. When really warm, it's 50/50 if it will start 1st kick in gear with the rekluse. When cold ? forget it. maybe 10% chance you will get it started.

Good to know that. At least it will be hard to stall the bike with a rekluse. I am either getting a rekluse or the new 2014 model which has a 6 spring clutch.