Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust Cam - Good/Bad/Serviceable?

Oi folks,

When I bought my Real E, I did an oil and filter change along with some other maintenance things (loctite, case savers...) and I was horrified at the sight of the very mucky oil that came out of it.

I cleaned the screen, which had nothing worth mentioning on it and replaced the filter, which also didn't have foreign matter in it that I could see. On the flywheel I found a "grey paste" which was obviously magnetic, but still not enough to raise too many concerns, I just figured the guy didn't change oil in a looong time (service manual intervals).

There was a slight rattling noise which was corrected upon installing an MCCT. There are no other strange sounds comin from the motor, and I have my SM to compare it to.

The valve clearances are all in spec except, with the right inlet at it's limit at 0.10mm, so yesterday I decided to shim it to 0.15mm.

While in there I decided to take out the cams and inspect them, and this is what I found on the exhaust cam:

ExhaustCam.jpg

ExhaustSideHead.jpg

The black substance blew straight off with parts cleaner, the scratches you see on the black section is from my finger nail as I scratched at it to try determine how deeply it's "burned".

The head part of the carrier for this specific side is also slightly dulled but the rest of the head looks nice and shiney.

So, given the information above, can I keep using this cam carrier? 

I can provide more pics and if needed, though the bike is back together already.

Thanks in advance for any useful input.

Oi folks,

When I bought my Real E, I did an oil and filter change along with some other maintenance things (loctite, case savers...) and I was horrified at the sight of the very mucky oil that came out of it.

I cleaned the screen, which had nothing worth mentioning on it and replaced the filter, which also didn't have foreign matter in it that I could see. On the flywheel I found a "grey paste" which was obviously magnetic, but still not enough to raise too many concerns, I just figured the guy didn't change oil in a looong time (service manual intervals).

There was a slight rattling noise which was corrected upon installing an MCCT. There are no other strange sounds comin from the motor, and I have my SM to compare it to.

The valve clearances are all in spec except, with the right inlet at it's limit at 0.10mm, so yesterday I decided to shim it to 0.15mm.

While in there I decided to take out the cams and inspect them, and this is what I found on the exhaust cam:

attachicon.gifExhaustCam.jpg

attachicon.gifExhaustSideHead.jpg

The black substance blew straight off with parts cleaner, the scratches you see on the black section is from my finger nail as I scratched at it to try determine how deeply it's "burned".

The head part of the carrier for this specific side is also slightly dulled but the rest of the head looks nice and shiney.

So, given the information above, can I keep using this cam carrier? 

I can provide more pics and if needed, though the bike is back together already.

Thanks in advance for any useful input.

looks like the head got HOT and cooked the oil. you can't swap cam caps as they're line bored with the heads. i mean you -could-, but you might likely end up with a really short lived fix, and more problems. 

what's the cam look like ? 

can you feel the scores with a finger nail anywhere ? 

• Like 1

The cams seem fine, to me at least. The pictures are of the worst damage so other parts looked better.

I did try to feel the scour with my finger nail but they felt smooth after blasting that muck with parts cleaner, and that goes for the cams also, all felt smooth and it didn't seem or feel like any material had been removed.

The cams seem fine, to me at least. The pictures are of the worst damage so other parts looked better.

I did try to feel the scour with my finger nail but they felt smooth after blasting that muck with parts cleaner, and that goes for the cams also, all felt smooth and it didn't seem or feel like any material had been removed.

IMO, it seems like you will be OK.  I'm sure that since everything is smooth, you should not see any further build up with good oil and regular changes...  Too bad the PO did not change the oil more often.  Now that you have a baseline of the situation, you can take a look again in a few thousand miles and see if anything has changed.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. I must say that they really do seem fine, but with the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I would only fool myself by not getting a second and third opinion.

Not that I didn't search the forum before posting this (Thumpetalk is a vast landscape), but I came across the following thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/733592-gauled-intake-cam-journal-any-fix/

It has some input from both Noble and Eric and comparing my damage to other repairable cams and journals I found that were salvageable, mine looks like a polished diamond :smirk:  

I flushed with 10-40 dino oil (ran about 10 miles with it) then dumped it and now I'm using 20-15 full synth esther, like my bikes deserve.

Just an update, this might help someone some day:

I took out the cams and journals (carriers) and applied very light pressure while cleaning it up first with parts cleaner, then with a 3M Superfine (500-600) sanding sponge.

I did minimum passes as to not remove too much material, and looking at the tiny amount of dust on the sponge, it didn't take much off.

Journals

Before:

JournalsBad.jpg

After:

JournalsGood.jpg

Cams:

Cams.jpg

Head (Still unpolished but I expect to see the same result as on the journals):

Head.jpg

It really only took about 5 passes with the sponge to get this result. I'll be getting some plastiguage to check clearance but I'll be surprised if they are out of spec.

Thanks again for the input.

• Like 1