92 XR250 forks bottom out.

So I did the race tech suspension calculator and it said I needed 4.5kg springs. Found some eibach springs for 70 bucks on ebay. Got them and was a little confused because it had spacers. So I'm sure this was a multi application kit. So I installed them put oil in my forks and went riding this past weekend. Forks bottomed out on every rock. I surprised I didn't bend my rim. So do I have poor dampening or weak springs? I just got this bike togather and havent ridden it much so I'm not sure what the suspension feels like normally.

What Wt oil,how did you space springs,(pre load) What oil level?BTR

I can't remember what weight I used off the top of my head. I think it was medium weight. And I just cut the spacer provided with the kit and used something as thick as the preload spec to set the preload. I may have cut it to short. When I set the bike down the fork travel down a good inch.

I used 20 weight in mine --- 5.5 inches from the top with fork spring removed.

what part of TX are you in?

I live north of Fort Worth. I'm gonna have to do some inspecting when I get home. Idk what I did wrong.

I had just bought my barn find 95 and did the fork oil --- then road two hard days in Red River with some hard core guys --- the 95 was the perfect bike for Red River!

I am in the Houston area and love Red River - what an Awesome place!!!!

I had just bought my barn find 95 and did the fork oil --- then road two hard days in Red River with some hard core guys --- the 95 was the perfect bike for Red River!

I am in the Houston area and love Red River - what an Awesome place!!!!

You drove all the way to the red river!? Its my favorite place to ride. Nothing compares at all.

Sounds like you don't have enough oil in the forks, no dampening

How much do you weigh? 

Racetech gives some weird recommendations sometimes. 

Does sound like not enough oil though.

Edited by MindBlower

Take Racetech  recommendations bad news.We and others have had susp revalved by them could not ride the bikes.Also do not use there fit all springs on XR4.In all cases there revalved susp.was so stiff could not ride the bikes.There gold valves are great,but you cant go by there settings,not even close,or in the ball park.   Best to ask others what they have done,also important to state,if bike is raced,woops,or woods trails,also your age as most older riders want plush.BTR

I'm thinkin it's a low oil problem. I used medium weight oil. When u set the level do you do it straight up and down in a vice or with the forks installed in the clamps? I've done it both ways and haven't had this problem before. When I do it in the clamps I add a little extra since its tilted. So I'm completely rebuilding the forks and rechecking the preload on the springs. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Doesn't really matter if the forks are tilted a little, just measure from the center of the fork tube. 

Since you haven't ridden this bike much before, you might not be used to how spongy the stock suspension is. Try increasing the compression dampening and lowering the rebound dampening if you want it to be able to handle jumps.

I don't know what you mean by medium weight, I assume this is some designation of suspension fluid, I used ATF in my XR forks before swapping for USD forks.

It just confuses me cuz I put heavier springs in. My xr200 didn't bottom out that bad and I put xr250 forks on it didn't bottom out at all. I'm not even going off jumps its just trail riding hitting some rocks.

It just confuses me cuz I put heavier springs in. My xr200 didn't bottom out that bad and I put xr250 forks on it didn't bottom out at all. I'm not even going off jumps its just trail riding hitting some rocks.

Something isn't right.  

Yes mind blower. It blows my mind. Haha

No one has asked yet, but you DID pump the piston rod to clear all the air out when filling with oil didn't you?

The shop manual gives a oil height range of 124-150mm, with 128mm being standard height.

Did the fork cap go back on easily without having to compress the spring any to get it started?

What method did you use to determine what length to cut the spacer?

Edited by Trailryder42

I pumped the piston like your suppose to. I had to compress the spring a tad to put the cap on. I cut the spacers bigger then needed and shave them down to the height needed for the preload. I just got my rebuild kit today so I will see how it turns out.

Does it dive excessively when you brake? Or only when you hit rocks?

Yes it does dive more then it shld.

Yes it does dive more then it shld.

Then the springs are too light, brake dive is unaffected by valving/dampening