Sign in to follow this  

1976 KX125 Project Racer

Swapped the '80 RM I had for this.  Needs alot of TLC but it runs and shifts good. I need various parts if anyone has some.  :lol:

76kx125.jpg

• Like 1

Good looking bike J. Can't help with parts but will keep my eyes open for any. Good luck with her and enjoy racing it.

Ed

What do you need?  I restored a 75 a few years ago and still have some stuff laying around.

What do you need?  I restored a 75 a few years ago and still have some stuff laying around.

I need a baffle for starters. The bike is worn so anything I can work with really. Stuff like the kicker is real loose, has the wrong seat cover and front fender. Im waiting to see if the 250 seat covers and foam fits.

I still need to go through the bike, get it running good. I should have a better idea in a few days. The baffle is the main thing right now.

I remember seeing those bikes new sitting on the floor of Monmouth Kawaski ( can't remember what it's called now) then the 78 came out. It was so trick looking, I don't know why I didn't get one of those over a RM.

Place a wanted ad on Marks Vintage Swapmeet for 76 KX parts. They are more popular than I thought they would be.

I love those old KXs, liked the '75 fuel tank paint scheme better. A buddy of mine took one of the slip-on Super Trapp silencers, cut the back of the pipe off and fish-mouthed the silencer on. It was a slick mod.

• Like 1

Very nice! Ahhhh, the memories from my youth. At 19, I had a '76 KX 400. Can't wait for updates as you get along with it.

I love those old KXs, liked the '75 fuel tank paint scheme better. A buddy of mine took one of the slip-on Super Trapp silencers, cut the back of the pipe off and fish-mouthed the silencer on. It was a slick mod.

Any pics of that? 

Any pics of that? 

No pics, galaxy long ago and far away and all. He did this on a 250, which is a bit different, but I remember that keeping overall length the same was what he went for. He cut the Trapp and the pipe where they had about the same diameter and used a fishmouth graft.

Cool bike,I remember the 75 and 76 on the showroom floor like it was yesterday,but it was many year's ago.Good find and I know you will have it running and looking great.The older I get the more I seem to like bike's that DONT NEED WATER.Happy for ya J.

The older I get the more I seem to like bike's that DONT NEED WATER..

...or suspension, or brakes.
  • Like 2

...or suspension, or brakes.

Yep,but ya gotta love the plush,comfy seat's on the older bike's. :thumbsup:

Waiting to hear on steering bearings from All Balls, repaired the floppy kicker and cleaned the carb.  The air filter is old and the boot is shot.  I might run a pod filter for now.  Would fit nicely on that intake.

If anyone has some sort of 2.25" diameter baffle I could use one.  Just something to jam in the pipe for now.  I'm probably going to have a new pipe/silencer made.  Also can't get a straight answer on using 250 foam/cover on this.

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6393.jpg

IMG_6394.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

IMG_6389.jpg

IMG_6390.jpg

• Like 1

Yep,but ya gotta love the plush,comfy seat's on the older bike's. :thumbsup:

I love the seat on my IT 400. BTW, the KX looks to be in pretty ok shape, via the posted pics...I'm kinda jealous :(

• Like 1

I love the seat on my IT 400. BTW, the KX looks to be in pretty ok shape, via the posted pics...I'm kinda jealous :(

yeah but I am more jealous of his work shop. I built 9 bikes in past 5 years out of a 10x12 shed and half of it is being used for storage..... :banghead: 

If I had a real shop i might think of doing this for a living... :rant: 

Can't wait to see the finished bike J

yeah but I am more jealous of his work shop.

I'm pretty fortunate...I have a 24'x36' drive-thru shop. I had it built to house all my Jeep & 4X4 crap. Now it's just motorcycles.

• Like 1

yeah but I am more jealous of his work shop. 

What about the fact that it's at my office and I wrench on my bikes while I get paid?  :lol:

I love having the shop, but I have nothing at my house.  So I'm jealous of your 10x12 shed.  haha!  We're planning on moving next year so hopefully a nice 2 car garage or large shed in my future.

Oh, and for the record, these bikes suck.  No parts or info out there and the 125 didn't share much with the 250's like the new bikes do.  It's more of a KD/KE chassis with a sweet engine.  I'm just glad I'm not restoring it.

What about the fact that it's at my office and I wrench on my bikes while I get paid?   :lol:

I love having the shop, but I have nothing at my house.  So I'm jealous of your 10x12 shed.  haha!  We're planning on moving next year so hopefully a nice 2 car garage or large shed in my future.

Oh, and for the record, these bikes suck.  No parts or info out there and the 125 didn't share much with the 250's like the new bikes do.  It's more of a KD/KE chassis with a sweet engine.  I'm just glad I'm not restoring it.

I hate you.... :rant:  :p