Sign in to follow this  

'11 350 sxf Lowering Link

Looking to lower the rear of my 350 a bit to help with handling and get me feet a little closer to the ground. As it sits now, I can't even tip-toe so my starts are sucking! I'm planning on running some combined woods/mx and being a little closer to the ground should be helpful in the tight stuff. I'm also planning on the KTM low seat as well.

The Kouba link sounds promising from a price standpoint, but there are three different ones: 3/8" (9.5mm), 3/4" (19mm), and 1 1/2" (too much). There is also the Pro Circuit, SDi, and Ride Engineering, all of which take some research to find the lowering amount. The Ride Engineering link is a 6mm lowering link at about $70 more than the Kouba and very well reviewed. Worth it?

Any info would be helpful. I'm leaning towards the 3/8" Kouba link since it seems to be an in between from all of them.

TIA!

Some have been known to allow the rear tyre to hit the rear mudguard and almost stop the wheel , I would use a lowering spacer

• Like 1

Some have been known to allow the rear tyre to hit the rear mudguard and almost stop the wheel , I would use a lowering spacer

That's not something I've heard of as being a problem. I wouldn't think the lower link would bring the tire in substantially closer than it already is. Even the kouba link 1 1/2" states you will have to do some grinding to make it work, but makes no mention of tire rubbing.

Edited by crash519

I have the kouba link 1, and have been pretty happy with the performance of it. Doesnt lower it all that much, but does seem to keep the bike nice and planted without feeling out of balance with the front end. Feels just about right since the ktm is one of the taller bikes out there. If the link were any lower I don't know if you could compensate enough by moving the forks in the clamps, besides with the other kouba you actually need to make mods to make it work. The kouba link also has a grease zerk for convenience/maintenance.

I bought a Kouba lowering link for my last Honda (1" lower) and it worked really well.  For me the shock spring was already a little soft so the link in effect stiffened the rate up initially and worked better.  Like the poster above mentioned, you need to be careful about changing the steering with it too.  I had to pull my forks up 3/4" to get it to turn properly and it was a stretch to do that.  Just my two-cents but I wouldn't buy a link that lowers it beyond what you are able to pull your forks up in the clamps and be aware that the lower you go the more it changes your rising rate in the back...

I figure with the kouba link 1 and the KTM low seat I'll be a lot better off than I am now. I'm not real enthused about an actual lowering kit as I can be pretty rough on the suspension and don't need to lessen travel any more than possible.

I had a choice between the bike I bought and one that had been professionally lowered 1". The lowered one felt pretty good. Maybe I should have gone that route.

Lowering links are gimmicks at best. Yes they do work but you compromise handling and suspension action, which on a KTM are both very important for making the bike work properly..... The proper and true way to do it without compromising handling is to get your suspension lowered internally, front and rear... Or the another cheap way without messing with the geometry is shaving the seat. 1" alone off the seat can make a big difference in height without affecting handling and suspension action....