advice needed-time to change sprockets and chain

Hey All,

I'm due to change my rear sprocket out and heard it's best to do all at the same time. I was looking at some kits online and was wondering what is good/what isn't etc. I currently have a Renthal rear sprocket and gold chain. I see a lot of the RK Racing brand, is this decent? I've heard of the Vortex, too. Any pro's/cons? I'm only trail riding and a NOOB (riding for 3 months) so I don't need anything crazy.

THX :thumbsup:

get any brand you want, but get an X-ring chain.

a non-ring chain will wear out pretty fast.

X-ring is better than O-ring.

i can get year of racing out of a DID X-ring

get any brand you want, but get an X-ring chain.

a non-ring chain will wear out pretty fast.

X-ring is better than O-ring.

i can get year of racing out of a DID X-ring

cool, thanks for the feedback. So X ring it is. 

I have a RK x-ring chain on my bike right now and it has been good but it is also the only chain I have had on it. So nothing to compare to. Put it and sprockets on when I got the bike three years ago. Probably has 60 or 70hrs on it. Like SUnruh I'd say an X-ring from any of the major brands is fine. Just pick your price range and a chain in it. I picked RK 'cause it was cheaper than DID and some of the others.

I have a RK x-ring chain on my bike right now and it has been good but it is also the only chain I have had on it. So nothing to compare to. Put it and sprockets on when I got the bike three years ago. Probably has 60 or 70hrs on it. Like SUnruh I'd say an X-ring from any of the major brands is fine. Just pick your price range and a chain in it. I picked RK 'cause it was cheaper than DID and some of the others.

Thanks for the input! What do you think of this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RK-Gold-Chain-and-JT-Sprocket-Kit-Yamaha-YZ250F-01-06-/370619953143?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564aabaff7&vxp=mtr

I think that is the chain I am going to get next time. I currently have the 520exw, same chain but without the gold. I am going to spring for the gold chain next time. I have heard of JT sprockets but don't know anything about them other than I think I had a front one on a Yamaha Warrior quad I had once. I' d say they are fine. Maybe someone else will chime in with more on the sprockets.

i am also a trail rider. i have always had good luck with JT sprockets. and i have had good luck with o-ring chains. currently running a primary drive o-ring and so far so good.

trail riding so this may be of some help

drop one tooth on the drive sprocket

I do a lot of single track and I don't have to clutch has much as everybody else

and I rarely hit top gear and when I do I don't have to hold the throttle wide open and I am doing over 60mph 06wr250 

it will make trail riding a lot easier

and if you don't like it the sprockets is very Inexpensive to replace 

PETE

I've been running a RK GB520MXU x-ring chain this entire season of racing, have only had to adjust it twice.  Still looks new.  Running it with a set of Supersprox sprockets.  Those still look new too.