Progressive Auto considers the DRZ400SM a sport bike, looking for alternatives

I am not pleased with Progressive for several reasons, the biggest is the price of coverage for a my SM.  I called them to discuss why my bill seems high and it boils down to the DRZ being in a "Sport Bike" category, that is 600-900cc, 150 mph class, and honestly I feel that is not very fitting.  

My insurance needs are simple but make me unique.

I never intend to carry any riders - no need to cover passengers medical 

I have good health insurance - no need to boost that up

What I do want covered is:

Any damages I cause

My bike replaced in the even it is stolen

What ever else my state requires to be legal 

Currently I have coverages a close to the above as possible and they are charging $195 for a year prepaid and $235 is I pay it over 4 months.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

I agree that for them to classify the SM as a "Sport Bike" is not very good, however to pre-paid for a year is only $16.25 per month...  I'm not sure how much less you could go...  Buying the "S" model would probably save a few dollars on insurance, but would that be worth it if you had to buy 17" tires and wheels... ???  

Uhh....you sure about that with progressive?  They don't consider my Honda 919 a sportbike....and its a naked cbr900r.  I wanna say when I first ensured my drz sm they said it was considered a dualsport (this was 5 years ago) and when I called about the 919 the said they considered it a standard.

I put it out there, I pay 11$ a month for my drz sm prepaid and 18$ per month for my 919.  States differ obviously differ, but I was paying more solely for the drz when I lived in Texas.

Edited by nickmarz

I agree that for them to classify the SM as a "Sport Bike" is not very good, however to pre-paid for a year is only $16.25 per month...  I'm not sure how much less you could go...  Buying the "S" model would probably save a few dollars on insurance, but would that be worth it if you had to buy 17" tires and wheels... ???  

Not sure what they would quote me for the S.

What I would like to do is find a provider that does not consider the drz a sport bike.  I did this with my z06 corvette,  I had company A and was pleased with them, after they quoted my newly acquired z06 I was no longer pleased.  I posted the problem on a corvette forum and after a few suggestions I was able to find insurance provider B that did not care if my vette was base or z06 model, nor did they care if I drive it 1000 or 15K miles a year.  That little post saved me about 1K a year.  I pay dearly for insurance, cars, boats, bikes, house, cabin add it all up and I am putting out just south of 3K a year, couple that with, short of 1 windshield I have never got anything from insurance companies short of some piece of mind and fulfilling requirements of my lenders and state laws. If I can save 20 bucks a year I will make the switch, trust me when I say your insurance is not loyal to you.   

It should also be said that I have a clean driver record.

I am not pleased with Progressive for several reasons, the biggest is the price of coverage for a my SM.  I called them to discuss why my bill seems high and it boils down to the DRZ being in a "Sport Bike" category, that is 600-900cc, 150 mph class, and honestly I feel that is not very fitting.  

My insurance needs are simple but make me unique.

I never intend to carry any riders - no need to cover passengers medical 

I have good health insurance - no need to boost that up

What I do want covered is:

Any damages I cause

My bike replaced in the even it is stolen

What ever else my state requires to be legal 

Currently I have coverages a close to the above as possible and they are charging $195 for a year prepaid and $235 is I pay it over 4 months.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Must be a regional thing.. all my bike coverage is with progressive

SM, VTR1000F, Ninja 650R.. none of them are sport bikes as far as my rates go???

And Im paying what you are for all three bikes.

Uhh....you sure about that with progressive?  They don't consider my Honda 919 a sportbike....and its a naked cbr900r.  I wanna say when I first ensured my drz sm they said it was considered a dualsport (this was 5 years ago) and when I called about the 919 the said they considered it a standard.

I put it out there, I pay 11$ a month for my drz sm prepaid and 18$ per month for my 919.  States differ obviously differ, but I was paying more solely for the drz when I lived in Texas.

Yup just got off the phone with them about an hour ago, they said sport bike.  it was about 175 last year but they said something about this state having a higher claim rait this years so they raised it 20 ish bucks.  Even still we are pretty close in rates, 11 vs 16 a month. 

here in WA I pay about 16 a month with a year prepaid for my Husa 570 sm. full coverage. seems fine to me. never thought of it as high before.

I suppose it's relative, 3K is what I paid for my bike, at 300 a year it would take 10 years to completely cover the cost, that is not a good value to me, 150 now we are talking 20 years.  There are a million ways to look at it.  I mostly see this extra insurance at theft coverage.

Must be a regional thing.. all my bike coverage is with progressive

SM, VTR1000F, Ninja 650R.. none of them are sport bikes as far as my rates go???

And Im paying what you are for all three bikes.

This, is what makes me want to shop around, not every company wants to make money from the same set of requirements 

Buy another bike and get a multi vehicle discount. On a serious note the price you quoted is not that bad. Gotta pay if you want to play.

Not the case, found better coverage for $134 a year, shopping around could save everyone in this forum some cheddar.  Think about this, Progressive just told me to pay them $235.   The bill showed nothing telling me my coverages, nothing telling me there was a $20 something policy increase for my state, nothing telling me there was 40 dollar discount to pay once a year.  Hell they didn't even bother to tell me that my insurance agent paid them late and there was a 5 dollar late fee, when I called they acted like they were doing me a favor to remove it, it was their flipping agent that caused it!  So one new thread, a phone call and a little searching just saved me 100 bucks a year 43% less then progressive!

I don't want to make this look like spam, I will only post the new insurance company if asked.

im at 34 bucks a month for full coverage... now granted this is technically the first vehicle i have ever had my own policy on so it might take a year or so of me having continuous coverage to begin looking for cheaper... is your 134 a year full coverage? i dont think it really matters what company it is because im pretty sure each company is going to be different for each persons set of circumstances...

So I must be doing something horribly wrong. I pay $66/month for full coverage on my 2013 S, and my record is clean... Thanks to the OP for starting this thread...

hmm...probably not.  Sorry but Texas sucks for insurance(awesome for BBQ though).  I was paying that when I lived in Abilene for my drz400sm and I have a clean record also.  When I moved to NY it dropped down to 11$ a month. 

Probably if everyone posted how much they paid by state (assuming they had a clean driving record) it would vary greatly.  The OP lives a state below me and was quoted at paying 60$ more a year than me.

hmm...probably not.  Sorry but Texas sucks for insurance(awesome for BBQ though).  I was paying that when I lived in Abilene for my drz400sm and I have a clean record also.  When I moved to NY it dropped down to 11$ a month. 

Probably if everyone posted how much they paid by state (assuming they had a clean driving record) it would vary greatly.  The OP lives a state below me and was quoted at paying 60$ more a year than me.

That makes me feel somewhat better - although you were paying that for an 'SM' and I have an 'S.'  I will at least do some more shopping around when my policy is nearing it's expiration.  I figured it would be easiest and a good deal to use the same insurance company I have everything else insured through (Allstate), but I can see how that logic is flawed.  I do, however, agree that rates are crappy in Texas...

I suppose it's relative, 3K is what I paid for my bike, at 300 a year it would take 10 years to completely cover the cost, that is not a good value to me, 150 now we are talking 20 years.  There are a million ways to look at it.  I mostly see this extra insurance at theft coverage.

This, is what makes me want to shop around, not every company wants to make money from the same set of requirements 

You can't look at insurance as simply covering the costs of the vehicle... liability doesn't cover your vehicle anyway and that's usually the cheapest. You have insurance (liability) in case YOU &%$#@! up and cause a lot of damage to someone else that you cannot "afford".

Hell, I was paying about $1200/yr in comprehensive insurance on my M3 when I was younger... same idea I would have paid off the car in no time.  Either way, you have to shop around.  When I got my DRZ the insurance company wanted $500/yr for it and an older cruiser... now that was crazy.  I called Geico, comprehensive for $120/yr on both bikes  :ride:

from what i've seen the SM -should- cost more for insurance:

the SM guys will file claims for scratched plastics, or a chipped headlight. knocked over ? BIG DRAMA ON ITS WAY, along with a claim. 

meanwhile, the S guys just jbweld it together and laugh at the stupid luck.

and the E/K guys are too busy fighting a wombat's jaws loose from their wheels to care about insurance claims. 

also, if you're financing a bike, why shouldn't you pay more than the guys paying cash ? you don't have the means to buy the toy, but -must-have-it-now- so sure, you should pay more for the convenience of other's money. 

(just an old guy with $129/yr for 3 vehicles and 2 bikes)

• Like 1