Sign in to follow this  

How can I stand up and ride better?

I have a problem with setting down too much while riding. It just doesnt feel right when im riding. How can I get more comfortable while standing? Seat time? Different technique? Please help

Remove seat, go ride!

The only way to get better at standing it to practice standing. IMO it is very important to have your bike setup properly such as lever position, bar height, possibly getting your foot pegs into a lower position and also having your suspension setup slightly different as you now have the added length of your legs that act as suspension....

• Like 5

As above :thumbsup: .

Also. I dig my outside knee into the tank when cornering. Seems to help gain balance. Most Importantly. Weight the outside foot pegs in corners. Digging your knee into the tank also makes that easier  :ride:

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 2

I have a problem with setting down too much while riding. It just doesnt feel right when im riding. How can I get more comfortable while standing? Seat time? Different technique? Please help

What part of okla.

If you can make it to Duncan I ll help you with riding basics and bike prep and it will cost you nothing. I dont care what your plans are racing mx, cc or just wanting to ride trails. I have mx track and trails. All I want in return for my service is pass on what i teach you to someone with less experience. If you ever want to come down pm me and ill give you my phone number.

• Like 13

If you can make it to Duncan I ll help you with riding basics and bike prep and it will cost you nothing. I dont care what your plans are racing mx, cc or just wanting to ride trails. I have mx track and trails. All I want in return for my service is pass on what i teach you to someone with less experience. If you ever want to come down pm me and ill give you my phone number.

Nice guy.  You deserve  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

• Like 4

Nice guy.  You deserve  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Just trying to give back some of what I have received. Bike numbers are in decline part of that reason is kids like ak that need help and at some point quit from frustration and that sucks

I need bar risers to stand up on my wr250f or else it feels really awkward.  The bar is almost touching my thighs and I have to bend way over.  I'm a hair over 6'.  Is this usually the case or am I doing something wrong.

When people say "stand up", what they really mean is "get your ass off the seat". In an average ride, I'm anywhere between sitting down for the flat easy bits, to just off the seat over whoops, to a high crouch through rocky stuff. It depends how much travel my arms and legs need to keep my torso and head relatively smooth.

I'm hardly ever in a full stand, and never with my knees locked.

I'm 5'10" and stock enduro bikes are fine for me. When I first started standing, I raised my bars about 1/2 inch, but lowered them again once I got better at it.

I would never suggest standing straight up, with your knees locked, that isn't a good idea. there is an attack form, which is very tiring, but you will be the most ready for any situation tbh. only time I will be standing up straight, is when I am waiting, or in the pits, never racing. I found myself sitting in this family enduro I did last saturday, I did try and stand as much as I could, and really did when it was needed, or I didn't know what was coming. I guess I could say I stood more than 50% but the reason why was because of my lower back, it was bugging me. 

Pretty sure I have bar raisers on my bike(not sure because i didn't install them, previous owner did) I have Protaper contour bars, so they are a bit taller, but that doesn't mean I have them pointed up so I don't have to bend over as much, I use to have them that way, then I learned that I was screwing myself over, by inducing more arm pump, and just being in an awkward position.(I don't get really near as much arm pump as I use to) 

but practice is key.

+1 on never lock your knees. If you do, bumps can really hurt you, because there's no place for the jolt to get dampened. Try to stay in "attack position" for as long as possible, it will help you in the long run. As you get more and more used to standing up, you will find you have to remember to sit down!

It took me quite a while, to get to a point where I ride off the seat, for hours. Unless I have to...I prefer to sit. Most of the time, at speed...I appear to be sitting, but my rear isn't actually touching the seat. Elbows up, knees bent and the bike can move around beneath me. That said...I still love the big, plush, comfy seat on my old IT400. Those old bikes had big thick seats, to make up for lack of suspenders :lol:  :lol:

I felt a little strange standing at first, now I feel out of sorts sitting unless it's smooth cruising sections. we ride a lot of woods here in Colorado, and the majority of the trails don't allow for much saddle time. it tends to beat the crap out of my back spending too much time sitting on the rough stuff. it's like originalmonk said having the bike setup correctly is paramount. especially the levers, rear brake, and shifter. my bike is setup for standing which isn't ideal for sitting.

• Like 1

I felt a little strange standing at first, now I feel out of sorts sitting unless it's smooth cruising sections. we ride a lot of woods here in Colorado, and the majority of the trails don't allow for much saddle time. it tends to beat the crap out of my back spending too much time sitting on the rough stuff. it's like originalmonk said having the bike setup correctly is paramount. especially the levers, rear brake, and shifter. my bike is setup for standing which isn't ideal for sitting.

Rich Lafferty says to set the rear brake lever 3/8" higher then the pegs and have the brakes to activate at brake level, but when I do this, especially while standing, I lock up the rear wheel.  I set my brake lever lower.  It seems to work better.  Thoughts?