Which shock has the longest shaft travel?

Which popular dirt bike rear shock has the longest shaft travel? How long is it?

Understand that the travel built into the shock is not the travel available at the rear wheel.  This is because the shock is mounted much closer to the swing arm pivot than the axle is, and the difference in shock travel vs. wheel travel is usually about 3:1.  It will vary considerably from one bike to another, and particularly from one design to another (linkage vs. no linkage/direct mounted). 

You'll get a better answer if you give some idea of what you want to do with the information; what it is you want to modify, etc.

I think he's simply asking, which common rear shock has the longest travel (shock shaft travel), regardless of linkage/chassis/swingarm/etc....

• Like 1

I think he's simply asking, which common rear shock has the longest travel (shock shaft travel), regardless of linkage/chassis/swingarm/etc....

That's exactly what I'm asking about :thumbsup:.

I need this information, because I want to use such shock in a buggy. It needs to be cost effective, thats why I try to find whether common dirt bike shock would be suitable.

I already measured my DRZ 400 shock - it has 7.5cm of travel to the bump stop. I suspect that other Showa shocks are similar. What I noticed though is that KYB's tend to have lighter springs rates, which may suggest that they have less linkage leverage and consequently longer shaft travel. Anyone measured any KYB shock shaft travel?

Say 12 - 15 cm total SHAFT travel is all I need.

Edited by MarekB

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/977329-2012-crf-linkage-data/

The first couple of posts imply that you can get your 12-14cm of travel from those shocks.

Unfortunately I've found some contradicting information. I asked a guy on internet auction site to measure '08 CRF 450R shock he's selling and he replied me "8.5 cm to the bump stop". Now - I think it's impossible that bump stop allows additional 5 cm of travel. So either newer shocks are longer or the data you linked is incorrect. Could someone comment on this issue? Nobody ever measured their shock travel? ;) C'mon!

Bump stops are pretty long

Unfortunately I've found some contradicting information. I asked a guy on internet auction site to measure '08 CRF 450R shock he's selling and he replied me "8.5 cm to the bump stop". Now - I think it's impossible that bump stop allows additional 5 cm of travel. So either newer shocks are longer or the data you linked is incorrect. Could someone comment on this issue? Nobody ever measured their shock travel? ;) C'mon!

the data kan3 was refering to was made without the shock, but I've also tested a shock.

I compressed it to 125mm, but never tested how much would be possible.

So they have at least 125mm shock travel

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/842778-shock-rebound-speed/

Thanks, that explains a lot. The shock you're refering to is Showa unit?

PDS Shocks use stiffer springs, which means they use less shock stroke to achieve a rear travel of approx. 330mm

All right. Couple more questions - sorry for bothering you but I need to know :). So how far do you think bump stop on aforementioned shock can compress? Have you measured shock travel to the bump stop? I measured bump stop length on my DRZ shock and it is exactly 5,5 cm. As I look at it I doubt that it can compress more than half it's length - so that gives about 10 cm total shock shaft travel. Still over 2,5cm shy of what you have measured. I may be wrong though...

They compress further than you think.  They generally sit in a dish of sorts which allows it to move out of the way of the shock body as it compresses.  I'd image you can compress them to over 90%.  I could be wrong but that's what I've understood.

• Like 1