Sign in to follow this  

Who here is running a heavy duty front tube in their pig?

Just wondering if its really necessary to run a heavy duty front tube in the pig? I have been in some knarly places off road in rocky terrain jumping and wheelying with no problems with the front tire. Its always been the back tube that got pinched. I normally run 20-22 psi in the front, 20 psi in the back. I have hit rocks flying through the trails (almost crashing on numerous occasions), really hard with that loud "thump" comming from the front rim in protest with no punctures, although i can see a very slight bend in the rim. I have read that a heavy duty tube in the front can have negative consequences on handling. I have not noticed any problems with the recent rear handling wise with the switch to a hd tube. Any truth to problems with one in the front?....thanks.

Edited by Thumper3

I've notice little difference between thin and thick walled tubes. I do however run HD tubes front and rear. When I had my L pig and now in my KX5. If you run that much pressure front, you're fine pretty much everywhere on standard tubes. I ride in northern NV and it's all rocks. Trail or race it's 14-15 psi front and HD tubes for me.

I've notice little difference between thin and thick walled tubes. I do however run HD tubes front and rear. When I had my L pig and now in my KX5. If you run that much pressure front, you're fine pretty much everywhere on standard tubes. I ride in northern NV and it's all rocks. Trail or race it's 14-15 psi front and HD tubes for me.

yeah, im pretty shocked that the front has taken a beating without problems. Although with that being said, i imagine i have jinxed myself on my next outing. I have hit rocks so hard with the front that i have cringed with fear in my helmet......lol

Depends really on the tire and bike and riding conditions. If your known to neglect your bike ( you know who you are) get the HD tube

xr650l lightened, michelin ac-10, powerline roads with lots of rocks, fire roads ect. suppose i could always try a hd front tube with my next tire change. I just hope i dont notice a difference in handling.

I've done the same at race speed with only 14 pounds. I've dented the wheel in spots, but that Bridgestone HD tube rocks.

so any idea how much heavier that 3mm thick moose racing rear tube is in my xrl compared to the stocker? I need to know prior to getting my pig weighed this week...lol

Edited by Thumper3

I bought a HD tube and had a guy replace it for me.  Paid forty bucks.  After two rides, it went flat again.  After that I learned how to change them myself and just buy the regular duty ones.  

HD tubes , rim locks front and rear  for Me  I have to ride sand to get to the trails so am less than 15 psi

so you found no difference in handling in the front with the hd tube?

I bought a HD tube and had a guy replace it for me.  Paid forty bucks.  After two rides, it went flat again.  After that I learned how to change them myself and just buy the regular duty ones.  

and i thought 2 flats in one year was bad....lol. How come your getting so many flats?? That would make me want to give up on riding off road.

when i carried my rims and tires in  and then when I carried them out I was like o chit these are heavy 

mind you this was HD tubes rim locks  and tires with tread  LOL

they didn't balance them and I was nervous but I have hit 60 with no noticeable issue however I can't comment on handling since I run these at 1/3  what I was running the old ones  the turning is far more sluggish  but I am not airing up  I don't street ride enough and you get used to it in no time

Many people run more like 12 psi in the sand or 14 psi in the rocks.  That's when the heavy tubes make a difference in reducing pinch flats.  You'll need a rim lock at lower pressures.  The difference in traction with lower pressures is huge.

I'm running Maxxis IT desert front and back with double tubes. Yes its a little heavier but worth it. I read it some where that's what they have been doing down in Baja for years. Tire pressure should be pretty low, 8-15psi. depending on terrain. The more pressure, the bouncier it gets and doesn't absorb the rocks and what not.

BTW, I really like these tires and they're a lot cheaper than most desert tires. BUT they are made in Taiwan...

HD tubes seem to help with pinch flats at 14 psi and lower .if you run 16 psi and  above you don't seem it get as many. HD tubes don't seem to help much with  punctures , and it seems that patches don't like to stick as well to the HD tubes . so I have gone back to regular tubes with slime. IMHO.  

Many people run more like 12 psi in the sand or 14 psi in the rocks.  That's when the heavy tubes make a difference in reducing pinch flats.  You'll need a rim lock at lower pressures.  The difference in traction with lower pressures is huge.

so with a hd tube how low can the tire pressure be without rimlocks?

HD tubes seem to help with pinch flats at 14 psi and lower .if you run 16 psi and  above you don't seem it get as many. HD tubes don't seem to help much with  punctures , and it seems that patches don't like to stick as well to the HD tubes . so I have gone back to regular tubes with slime. IMHO.  

i have had 3 rear flats in total running a stock tube with 20psi. What exactly can be used if you get a punture to allow driving out of the woods. Slime with compressed air? luckily each time, i was able to drive out doing about 5 mph without hurting the rim.

so with a hd tube how low can the tire pressure be without rimlocks?

The rule of thumb is 15 psi or so, but I've always run rim locks.  The concern is the tire rotating on the rim, ripping the valve stem, and a HD tube probably won't protect you much from that.  There's no reason not to run rim locks.  If you're worried about wheel balance, just balance with wheel weights.