Sign in to follow this  

Engine blown!

Hey today me and my buddy were riding and he was on my RM 125. and he said all of a sudden it died and wouldn't start. We had been riding for a while the bike was running fine but I guess it was just a bit too cold outside and it was too lean becasue the plugs were white. So i tried kicking it over and it had no compression. But it was still kicking over okay so i figured that was a good thing. But right before i was about to pull the head off i was pushing it over with my hand and feeling the compression and the piston got stuck!!! (but i stoped right away - didn't hit it or push hard)

So i pulled the head off and the piston is stuck about half way down and the top of the piston looks a little melted - the head and what i can see of the cylinder walls look okay though.  My next step is to pull the jug off an pray its not stuck to bad. But I wanted to get some insight because this will be my first rebuild.

What would you guys do next?

What should I look for in cylinder and the ports?

And from what I told you do you think it sounds bad? I'm hoping its just the piston and rings.

Any other advice would be great before I screw anything else up.

Thanks

I would start by cleaning and inspecting the bore and head to make sure everything is still good to go. Then I would figure out why it was running lean before you put it back together. 

Yah, I think it was a combination of cold weather and maybe cheap oil and to lean of a mixture. I always use Ipone but cheaped out and bought a bottle of AMS oil and it blew up.

Ask your buddy if he held it wide open before it blew up. That could make it lean. Not dumping enough gas at that rpm. Mic. The cylinder before u buy a piston. To make sure the cylinder is straight. If u don't no how to mic. Or have gauges take it to a machine shop