Lurching when standing

Not my first post, but just started posting a few days ago.  I have never been on a bike, until I bought my 2013 DRZ400S two months ago.  It had 2 miles on it when I bought it, and it now has almost 4,600 miles on it in the two months I've had it.  Needless to say, I love riding, and I love this bike!  At age 29 now, I don't know what took me so long to start riding (and find this bike...).

Now on to the question - I have started standing up while riding, and I notice that sometimes when I'm standing, there's a violent lurch forward.  This doesn't always happen, but it seems like there is a correlation between how full the tank is, and the likely-hood of occurance.  I'm pretty sure this isn't normal, and it scares the crap out of me!  Happens whether I'm going 45 or 85mph.  Anyone have any clue?  Thanks in advance!

conway

PS: I don't think it should matter, but I ride 95% freeway, and about 80% of that is speeds of 65mph - 85mph...  Bike has been serviced at 800 and 4150 miles, with an intermittent oil change in between.  

That's right.  Riding down the freeway, I go to stand up, and just as I get vertical with all of my weight to the pegs, it feels as if I jerked the throttle and immediately chop it. Feels the same like as if I snatched the front brake for a split second (without losing traction to the front tire of course)...

If you are referring to the kickstand having to be up for the bike to start, then that is still the same setting as stock.  But I'd imagine that would totally cut off the engine?  Plus, it's on smooth pavement on the freeway, and I'm just transferring weight from the ass to the feet.  No jumping or jarring motions so I don't think that would be it?

Actually, now that I think about it, if the kickstand went down while in 5th gear going 85, and the engine cut off, wouldn't both tires lock up?  Yikes, that's a scary thought - I am going to figure out how to disable that kickstand switch!  Glad you brought it up, lol...

from my experience he on TT i will give you a little more in depth answer... when you stand up more than likely your heel is pushing down on the kick stand causing it to enable the kickstand switch making the bike begin to shut off then come back to life which gives you the lurch... obviously the kickstand switch is not fully engaged or it would turn off completely... i would venture to say that this is your problem because i assume you are not experiencing this lurch at all while sitting down? 

from my experience he on TT i will give you a little more in depth answer... when you stand up more than likely your heel is pushing down on the kick stand causing it to enable the kickstand switch making the bike begin to shut off then come back to life which gives you the lurch... obviously the kickstand switch is not fully engaged or it would turn off completely... i would venture to say that this is your problem because i assume you are not experiencing this lurch at all while sitting down? 

Ah, I understand.  And you are correct, there are no issues at all when in the seated position.  Thanks all for the quick and helpful replies...!

Ah, I understand.  And you are correct, there are no issues at all when in the seated position.  Thanks all for the quick and helpful replies...!

by the way a quick fix would be a zip tie on the switch... (if you dont want that to be permanent could atleast be an easy way to test and make sure thats the problem)

Actually, now that I think about it, if the kickstand went down while in 5th gear going 85, and the engine cut off, wouldn't both tires lock up?  Yikes, that's a scary thought - I am going to figure out how to disable that kickstand switch!  Glad you brought it up, lol...

sure, if you had a two wheel drive motorcycle, with like 14:1 compression, and no differential between them, and you were running 65mph in 3rd gear....

and bunny hopped at the right time

but no, the wheels won't lock up if the engine is switched off at speed. disable your side stand safety. check that you are not depressing the rear brake on the way up. check that you are not switching the kill switch momentarily on the way up. check that you are not chopping throttle, loosen your grip, etc

check that you are not depressing the rear brake on the way up. check that you are not switching the kill switch momentarily on the way up.

+1

once I started to stand up more often I had to adjust my rear brake to happen much further down as I was accidentally operating the brake while standing. Now it's real effort to operate the rear brake while seated (in my MX boats).

My clutch & brake levers are now facing down more now as that reduces hand strain while standing, I do mainly stand though as I don't commute on this bike.