Sign in to follow this  

xr250 rebuild?

How much do you guys think it would cost me for a shop to rebuild my 97 xr top end (without parts, only labor)

Heres the story,

We went to the desert yesterday and when i was riding it was backfiring a little,so i slowed down and it automatically turned off in first gear with clutch in, guess it didnt idle right. so i gave it a few kicks to see if it would start ( its always 

been hard to start, low compression) and never did. as of today still wont start,

so my dad told me it will most likely need a new top end ( Dammit!, ive been saving up for a truck  :banghead: )

if someone thinks there is a different prob feel free to post

thanx in advance

depending on damage, as little as $60 for a bore and hone if you pull the cylinder and take it to a machine shop, and $160-180 for top end kit with piston, wrist pin, rings and gasket set. that is if it's ONLY the bore, not valve related issues, etc.

Problem is, usually there is more to be done like timing chain, possibly bearings, etc. really depends on how deep you want to get into it and what you want to address based on wear/failure. start with the compression test before you pull things apart, that will give you a good indication of where you stand. Drain the oil, take a good look at condition of it- metal particles?

• Like 1

How has the carb entered into the equation from where this started?

buy a service manual. if you're even somewhat mechanically inclined and can read, you'll be ok. Since you're responding to posts here, pretty sure you got the reading part nailed.

How has the carb entered into the equation from where this started?

buy a service manual. if you're even somewhat mechanically inclined and can read, you'll be ok. Since you're responding to posts here, pretty sure you got the reading part nailed.  

Edited by MindBlower