xr250 rebuild?

How much do you guys think it would cost me for a shop to rebuild my 97 xr top end (without parts, only labor)

Heres the story,

We went to the desert yesterday and when i was riding it was backfiring a little,so i slowed down and it automatically turned off in first gear with clutch in, guess it didnt idle right. so i gave it a few kicks to see if it would start ( its always 

been hard to start, low compression) and never did. as of today still wont start,

so my dad told me it will most likely need a new top end ( Dammit!, ive been saving up for a truck  :banghead: )

if someone thinks there is a different prob feel free to post

thanx in advance

Labor at $80-100 hour

3-5 hours labor plus parts, plus this, plus that --- 400-600.

Get a compression tester from harbor freight, if it needs a top end and do it yourself. I know it seems a little scary but if you buy a Honda service manual (Not Clymers) you can do anything yourself. Its way cheaper that way.

depending on damage, as little as $60 for a bore and hone if you pull the cylinder and take it to a machine shop, and $160-180 for top end kit with piston, wrist pin, rings and gasket set. that is if it's ONLY the bore, not valve related issues, etc.

Problem is, usually there is more to be done like timing chain, possibly bearings, etc. really depends on how deep you want to get into it and what you want to address based on wear/failure. start with the compression test before you pull things apart, that will give you a good indication of where you stand. Drain the oil, take a good look at condition of it- metal particles?

ok thanks for replying everyone

first thing im gonna do is thoroughly clean the carb, 

then if thats not it ill see if i can do top end, not so sure if i can do it by myself, wont have a clue about what i am doing!

How has the carb entered into the equation from where this started?

buy a service manual. if you're even somewhat mechanically inclined and can read, you'll be ok. Since you're responding to posts here, pretty sure you got the reading part nailed.

just in case, i want to make sure its not something else before i spend my hard earned money on a rather expensive fix ( expensive for me)

buy a service manual. if you're even somewhat mechanically inclined and can read, you'll be ok. Since you're responding to posts here, pretty sure you got the reading part nailed.  

Edited by MindBlower