Sign in to follow this  

cr125 VS yz250f

I currently have a 2000 cr125 and I am planning on trading with a buddy for a 2003 yz250f. I ride strictly off-road at places like Gorman and Stoddard Wells. I've been able to manage with the 125 but the bottom end of a four stroke is amazing. We are going riding this coming Sunday and we're going to switch bikes for the day before we fully commit. What do you guys think? the good, the bad, and the ugly... Anything I should look out for or be concerned about or should I just run with it and never look back?

2003 huh? Price cams, springs, valves and guides & seats. Then throw in piston and rings for good measure. Then take that money and go by another 125.

Edited by JBFL
  • Like 1

is it the 2003 model that is that bad or are you just a die hard 2t guy? I can make this 4t do things I can only dream about on my 2t 125. I've ridden it once before but it was for a quick run. I want to get a better feel for it which is why we're going out for a full day. I though I was a die hard 2t guy through and through until I rode this bike! I like climbing and boulder fields, that's why I want more bottom end.

is it the 2003 model that is that bad or are you just a die hard 2t guy? I can make this 4t do things I can only dream about on my 2t 125. I've ridden it once before but it was for a quick run. I want to get a better feel for it which is why we're going out for a full day. I though I was a die hard 2t guy through and through until I rode this bike! I like climbing and boulder fields, that's why I want more bottom end.

what the guy above is saying is that the 03 is not necessarily a bad bike but it's 10 years old and that's really old in the me 4 stroke world. Things have come a long way with them in 10 years. Plus your trading your simple, light, cheap and easy to work on 125 for an old and heavy 4 stroke that is probably going to need a lot of work. If I were u I would just keep the 125 or save up for a newer 250f, used ones especially that old are ticking time bombs waiting to go off then your in the whole at least $1000 right there.

Thanks for the clarification soulges22. Why is it that with 4t dirt bikes blowing up seems to be a serious concern? I've never heard of such things with quads. My first bike was an atc when I was a kid and grew up on quads. I didn't get a dirt bike until I got the money to buy one on my own.

Thanks for the clarification soulges22. Why is it that with 4t dirt bikes blowing up seems to be a serious concern? I've never heard of such things with quads. My first bike was an atc when I was a kid and grew up on quads. I didn't get a dirt bike until I got the money to buy one on my own.

it's not just a dirt bike thing with engines blowing up it's any high performance 4 stroke engine, my guess is that u have probably had 400 ex type quads which arnt true racing machines. If u have a 4 stroke racing quad (like a trx 450 etc) and 4 stroke racing bike there going to need the same amount of maintenance and have the same risk of blowing up because the engines are basically the same.

Don't be afraid of the 4t... People are ridiculous on this site when it comes to a 2t vs 4t... so if someone immediately says don't do it 4ts are money pits put them on the ignore list and take what they say with a grain of salt. Its a buddy of yours so you've probably rode with him before? Does he treat his bike well? Does he race? Ask him when was the last time he check valves ect. then just go over it make sure bearings ect are in good shape. Its not that hard to do maintance on a 4t, that's like saying having to mix gas on a 2t is a pain, its just a step into owning the bike. If you like the bike and its in a shape your comfortable with then go for it. Ive owned both 4t and 2t and I like the power a 4t makes over any 2t I've ever ridden, and can understand why you like it. If it works for you do the trade and go have fun!

it's not just a dirt bike thing with engines blowing up it's any high performance 4 stroke engine, my guess is that u have probably had 400 ex type quads which arnt true racing machines. If u have a 4 stroke racing quad (like a trx 450 etc) and 4 stroke racing bike there going to need the same amount of maintenance and have the same risk of blowing up because the engines are basically the same.

You are actually spot on. I did have the 400ex. Does that mean that a 4t dirt bike designed for trails is less prone to blowing up?

Don't be afraid of the 4t... People are ridiculous on this site when it comes to a 2t vs 4t... so if someone immediately says don't do it 4ts are money pits put them on the ignore list and take what they say with a grain of salt. Its a buddy of yours so you've probably rode with him before? Does he treat his bike well? Does he race? Ask him when was the last time he check valves ect. then just go over it make sure bearings ect are in good shape. Its not that hard to do maintance on a 4t, that's like saying having to mix gas on a 2t is a pain, its just a step into owning the bike. If you like the bike and its in a shape your comfortable with then go for it. Ive owned both 4t and 2t and I like the power a 4t makes over any 2t I've ever ridden, and can understand why you like it. If it works for you do the trade and go have fun!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know this place gets a little out of hand with 2t vs 4t. It's kind of like saying chevy vs ford... I am already convinced that I want a 4t, I was just wondering if this particular model was prone to certain problems. For example, I use to have a 1989 Toyota Pickup 3.0 V6 that was prone to head problems. With that said, it was in the family for 20 years and the heads only messed up once. The bike itself is in great shape. My bro actually already went through the bike and said it was good to go now I just pretty much need to ride it to confirm that it fits my riding style more than anything. I'm not afraid to do maintenance and/or damage control on them. My dad has a 230ttr and my sister in law has something a little smaller than that (I forget which one). Being that my dad already has a 4t Yamaha makes me feel more comfortable with the decision.

Edited by .:LOLLY:.

The Yamaha did (does) have the best 4 stroke by having lighter valves, intake side anyway by having 3 valves. That's less repetitive weight smashing back against the valve seat. Even so 10 years of that without a documented rebuild of the head I'd really think twice.

You are actually spot on. I did have the 400ex. Does that mean that a 4t dirt bike designed for trails is less prone to blowing up?

they are less likely to blow up than a racing 4 stroke but there are duds out there to watch out for. the engine in the 400ex is almost exactly the same as Honda used in the xr 400 which is a trail monster, my buddy owns 2 and there great bikes, low maintenance, good smooth power, but they are heavy. they are just as likely to blow as the 400ex. Generally speaking 4 stroke trail bikes are very reliable and very hard to kill, so if u definitely want a 4 stroke I would say go after an xr or drz 400.

The only problem is I hate the weight of the 400s. I like the 250 4t's because they are relatively close in weight and performance to my 125 2t (aside from the low end)

If my 125 2t had killer low end (which they don't and never will) then I would be set! I like being able to fling that thing around without too much effort.

I'm not just bashing 4 strokes, I have owned one previously but my point is that a 2003 mx 4 stroke is ancient in the motorcycle world. They have come such a long way since then so I'm just saying it would be better to look for something different or newer. Even if the yzf is in good shape the technology is still dated.

I'm not just bashing 4 strokes, I have owned one previously but my point is that a 2003 mx 4 stroke is ancient in the motorcycle world. They have come such a long way since then so I'm just saying it would be better to look for something different or newer. Even if the yzf is in good shape the technology is still dated.

Does it really matter if the technology is dated? I'm not trying to go pro, just trying to have fun. I'm pretty sure I couldn't ride this bike to it's full potential as is let alone if it had "current" technology...

Does it really matter if the technology is dated? I'm not trying to go pro, just trying to have fun. I'm pretty sure I couldn't ride this bike to it's full potential as is let alone if it had "current" technology...

yes u are just going to be trail riding and u didu already had someone go over so u should go for it if it's what u want

Thanks for everything guys. I think it just has to do with the fact that I get emotionally attached so I try and talk myself out of stuff. Soulges, your last reply made me realize that I already made up my mind and I was just fighting the obvious. I think that I'll truly enjoy they 250f more than the 125. And if it blows up then I'll just take it as a lesson learned. Never know till you try it!

I just sold a 2001 yz250f when I first got it the contacting rod bearing went so when I took it apart it had the original piston,valves were shimmed once from what I can tell I put it back together same piston,valves and put another 60 hours on it before I sold it still ran like a champ it's all in the maintenance I think just my 2 cents

Thanks for everything guys. I think it just has to do with the fact that I get emotionally attached so I try and talk myself out of stuff. Soulges, your last reply made me realize that I already made up my mind and I was just fighting the obvious. I think that I'll truly enjoy they 250f more than the 125. And if it blows up then I'll just take it as a lesson learned. Never know till you try it!

nothing ventured nothing gained! Best of luck with whatever u decide to go with!