Original OEM Honda XR Speedometer for sale

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I have one of these speedometers for sale.

Here is the ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261307354794?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I don't know which XR's had these. Can someone confirm? I bought this from an XR parts website and want to switch to a trailtech meter.

As far as I know- many XR's came with just the trip meter. However, in my service manual it displays my 89' XR250 with this speedometer on it. Maybe it was an option back in the day?

It was standard on 84-87 XR250, 83-84 XR350, and 83-84 XR500. Maybe 84-87 XR200 as well, not sure.

That's REALLY expensive for an old stocker.  Good luck!  The 85 XR350 (600?) got a digital speedo/tripmeter that is worth considerable money in good shape. I don't 'think' this would fall in that category of desirability, but you only need 1.  

Edited by MindBlower

That's REALLY expensive for an old stocker. Good luck! The 85 XR350 (600?) got a digital speedo/tripmeter that is worth considerable money in good shape. I don't 'think' this would fall in that category of desirability, but you only need 1.

I paid $170 for it. There was another brand new still sealed one for $350!

You just don't find them anymore. Saw another one on ebay go for 190

I have one of the 

That's REALLY expensive for an old stocker.  Good luck!  The 85 XR350 (600?) got a digital speedo/tripmeter that is worth considerable money in good shape. I don't 'think' this would fall in that category of desirability, but you only need 1.  

Even the analog XR speedometers seem to command a good amount of money. I imagine its because they broke so easily. That was the fate of the one that came on my 250. It was cracked when I bought the bike and didn't take much more abuse to fall apart completely.

I have one of the digital enduro meters someone traded me a standard trip meter for 7 or 8 years ago. I've been using it for the past 5 years racing enduros. I've considered developing a prototype replacement for it, not really to market though since there are much more advanced enduro computers out these days. I just like having a good timer and odometer in one unit.

I love the old Honda Digital Odometer. they had them on the '85 XR350R and it was on the XR600R. I have two and use them for enduros and love the display and effective interface and the "calibrate" function. I also like that it connects up to the mechanical odometer cable, which is more rugged than magnetic pickups on the hub. I only wish the chronometer had hour's on it and the replacement parts (I think it's still available) weren't so expensive. I have always thought about making a contemporary version of it (with more functions), but don't think there is enough market for it, since the Trailtech Endurance II is a pretty nice aftermarket speedo/odo.

Having said that, I'm looking for a working '83 XR200R speed/odometer. it is round and has a odometer that is adjustable (up/down). they are hard to find. the odometer knob usually breaks off and they often get water in them after sitting around on the bike for years.

I suppose it would change  as the years pass and more fail. I remember not too long ago (it SEEMS!)  that those were more like $30-40. Not THAT one, if it's rare, but just standard takeoff XL and such speedos. 

i'm getting old.................................................................................................

I paid $170 for it. There was another brand new still sealed one for $350!

You just don't find them anymore. Saw another one on ebay go for 190

yes, but were the others in perfect condition? That one sure isn't Gonna have to find the ONE guy restoring a XL and he will have to have a new lens. I also think it is WAY overpriced.

yes, but were the others in perfect condition? That one sure isn't Gonna have to find the ONE guy restoring a XL and he will have to have a new lens. I also think it is WAY overpriced.

We'll see what it brings me. Its got 80 views and 7 watchers so far so people are looking for them. I can always lower the price

We'll see what it brings me. Its got 80 views and 7 watchers so far so people are looking for them. I can always lower the price

yes, there is that. Good luck! I have seen weirder things happen on CL! I am going to post a 1974 TY250 yamaha trials bike owners manual on there since I saw one sell on ebay for 190 that is in far worse condition than mine....

damn, it's really starting to happen with even old japanese dual sport parts? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I really wanted (want) to build a Norton/Triumph/BSA cafe racer, but parts prices are just obscene. 

Stops being so much fun when it starts to be like buying a car to put a bike together!

Yup, some of the 70s Japanese bikes and select 80s are becoming "collectables", mostly because the classic collectables are priced out of mere mortal's reach/pocket books, these days. I have a friend who collects 60s/70s hondas, as part of his retirement strategy, they will only go up in value, as long as your storage costs are cheap.

Edited by cynicryder

Yup, some of the 70s Japanese bikes and select 80s are becoming "collectables", mostly because the classic collectables are priced out of mere mortal's reach/pocket books, these days. I have a friend who collects 60s/70s hondas, as part of his retirement strategy, they will only go up in value, as long as your storage costs are cheap.

Flashredbikes.com has a 70s Honda ZT50 (or something like that) still in the original crate for sale at $40,000!

Few months ago I bought an XR350 off Craigslist, complete but missing the head....(?)

Paid $160

I sold the speedo on eBay for $125 in 1 day 

Sold for 85 bucks!

That's an interesting idea.  

Sold for 85 bucks!

1/2 what you paid?

How come?

I got ripped off hahaha.

Things like these are only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. 85 was the best price I could sell it for.

The guy who I bought it from got lucky, he found a chump who was willing to pay 170 :(