Sign in to follow this  

Race fuel in 2013 Kx450f

so I have about 8 hours on my 13 kx450f. I have used either the black or white fi coupler, just the green. I would like to try running the white coupler, but believe it runs a little hotter and requires a higher  octane fuel for the motor to run properly. I can get 102 octane race fuel, but have never run anything over 93 in my bike. will the 102 be sufficient to run the white coupler and will it have any negative effects? at all? my bike is 100% stock!  because if it will I don't have to run it. Thanks guys 

i wouldnt think that it would affect it like that. i have the 2011, year before the coupler stuff, and i use 93 octane when im not racing, but on race days i run a tank of 50/50   of 93 and 107 octane, then about 25/75 of 93/107. and i have no issues at all. my bike is still bone stock, but im going to add new radiator hoses, and a boysen super impeller here soon. probably as a christmas gift to myself.  i have had no issues with the higher octane. it does have a hotter spark so i could see it making the motor hotter, but i cant say for sure. ive never measured the temperature on my bike before and after either.

in conclusion, i dont think it would have negative effects on the bike, you could always get stick on thermometers and give it a try.

• Like 1

Running 102 in a stock bike isn't going to cause any damage. If you're only doing it because you're pinging on pump, mix 102 and pump.

Running 102 in a stock bike isn't going to cause any damage. If you're only doing it because you're pinging on pump, mix 102 and pump.

i am not having problems with pinging, but have heard that with the white coupler there will be and possibly even cracked pistons from running too low an octane.

Hey mines the 2012 450 and I allways run the white clip for full power as I ride sand most days and all I ever use is standard unleaded and I have had no mechanical problems n Ohhh yeah 150 hours on my bike ;)

I constantly use the white clip and only ever use regular unleaded and my bike has 150 hours on it .....only problem am having at the min is its got a lot off engine braking any help??

I constantly use the white clip and only ever use regular unleaded and my bike has 150 hours on it .....only problem am having at the min is its got a lot off engine braking any help??

The white plug will have less engine braking on the 2013. The 2012 is different. I would recommend higher octane fuel with white plug on the 13.. mine ran very hot went back to green. So hot that I could smell burning while riding on track. 

Less engine braking in 2013 how do you figure that lyk ?? And for a burning smell u obviously had a issue somewhere because I ride 2-3 hour hard trail rides and mine never overheats or smells ??

Less engine braking in 2013 how do you figure that lyk ?? And for a burning smell u obviously had a issue somewhere because I ride 2-3 hour hard trail rides and mine never overheats or smells ??

I can smell my oil cooking during a moto, especially at a sand track.

I run the white clip on my 2012 with Shell V-power 99 octane, i have no temp. issues. 85 hrs.

I don't think its fair to compare 2-3 hour trail rides to motos on the track.

Hey mines the 2012 450 and I allways run the white clip for full power as I ride sand most days and all I ever use is standard unleaded and I have had no mechanical problems n Ohhh yeah 150 hours on my bike ;)

Stoner the thread is regarding 2013 model. You have 2012 which has different cam, timing and coupler maps.