Sign in to follow this  

Power Valve Adjustment KTM 250 XC 2013

Hey, 

I'm doing a lot of single track with lots of rock, mud, logs, and roots. I'm in first or second gear all the time currently with the factory setting. (Yellow power valve, Performance Map)

I find that the wheel is spinning too much and I have lots of trouble in tight hill climb through roots, mud and rocks. 

I have change the power Valve sprint to the Green one, which should make it better for my kind of riding.

I also set the mapping to Soft by manually disconnecting the mapping cable.

Now I'm wondering if I should adjust the power valve.  If I turn the Allen head adjuster one turn out (counterclockwise), the power valve will open 150 rpm sooner (at 5450 rpm). Which should give me more power sooner and less of a big hit.

Will these changes affect the jetting?

I'm also thinking of a Throttle cam, but I'm not sure it is worth it as I have already made quite a bit of changes to the power delivery.

What do you guys Think?

Have you done similar  changes to your bike and did you like it?

Hey,

I'm doing a lot of single track with lots of rock, mud, logs, and roots. I'm in first or second gear all the time currently with the factory setting. (Yellow power valve, Performance Map)

I find that the wheel is spinning too much and I have lots of trouble in tight hill climb through roots, mud and rocks.

I have change the power Valve sprint to the Green one, which should make it better for my kind of riding.

I also set the mapping to Soft by manually disconnecting the mapping cable.

Now I'm wondering if I should adjust the power valve. If I turn the Allen head adjuster one turn out (counterclockwise), the power valve will open 150 rpm sooner (at 5450 rpm). Which should give me more power sooner and less of a big hit.

Will these changes affect the jetting?

I'm also thinking of a Throttle cam, but I'm not sure it is worth it as I have already made quite a bit of changes to the power delivery.

What do you guys Think?

Have you done similar changes to your bike and did you like it?

if the power band hits sooner it will be a bigger hit

if the power band hits sooner it will be a bigger hit

I read this somewhere else:

" If I turn it in a full turn (clockwise), the power valve will open 150 rpm later (at 5750 rpm). The longer the power-valve flapper is closed, the harder the power will hit—because it will have built up more rpm "

I guess I will have more bottom end power for longer, if the hit is later, but if the hit is bigger then it's not good for me.

I would imagine that for tight trail riding, you more power through out and less HIT?

Well 2 strokes only get so much grip .... i ride trails to and my powerband is turned all the way out and 1full turn in. I climb big hills.. i like it because when its a open hill i put it in 2nd the power band hits late or right on time for me and with it being adjusted more out the extra bottom makes me not have to change gears. And a really tight hill slow hill i have it in 1st i will bog all the way up the hill but atleast i make it without alot of wheel spin.

Well 2 strokes only get so much grip .... i ride trails to and my powerband is turned all the way out and 1full turn in. I climb big hills.. i like it because when its a open hill i put it in 2nd the power band hits late or right on time for me and with it being adjusted more out the extra bottom makes me not have to change gears. And a really tight hill slow hill i have it in 1st i will bog all the way up the hill but atleast i make it without alot of wheel spin.

OK sounds good.

You also have the MAP on Soft mod and the Green spring?

Your explanation make sense, you are one full turn clockwise?

My previous ride with Yellow sprint and Performance map, I'm spinning through out the hole hills on rock and roots, and I keep dropping the bike. Or I had to clutch it, in and out through out the climb ... Can't wait to try this new settings.

I had the same sort of problems on my 12 300 xcw. I ended up going with the red spring with the dolley screw one turn in from being flush to the outside. I also run the soft map when conditions are wet and sloppy but switch it to the performance map when dry.

Im my opinion this setup lets the bike have the low end power longer before it starts coming on the pipe which lets me get through the nasty stuff much easier.

Johnn