Sign in to follow this  

250 2 stroke vs 250 4 stroke

In order to get good feedback I would like to give you a lot of information.  I just started competing this this year.  I did 3 harescrambles and 2 enduros.  I learned a lot this summer and I'd say the last two races I finished closer to the middle of my class (40+, C).  I'm a new dirt bike rider and am 40 years old, a little less then 200lbs.  A lot of the riding in Minnesota is in the woods.  Watching some of the guys race on their 250 2 strokes I'm amazed by the power.

I'm racing a 2001 wr250F.  In the woods and enduro's I know I don't need anymore power, but in the open sections and wider trails the power would be nice.  Well, who am I kidding, extra power is just pretty damn cool.  I've ridden a friends GasGas 200 2 stroke and the power delivery was easy to control, and I had a first great impression of 2 stroke power.

The WR I have now has had some suspension work by the previous owner.  I really like the suspension.  So my thought is, buy a yz250 of a similar year and install the WR suspension on it. Keep an extra set of rims and part out what I don't need.

My bike runs great. 

I'd like to get feedback on the differences in power between the two motors.  It seems to me the 250f has really good low end power and doesn't seem to care if its revved low or high.  I'm also worried the 250 2 stroke might have too much hit for woods riding at my speed.  Right now I do a lot of rd2nd and 3 gear riding on my 250f with stock gearing.  The lack of compression braking with the 2 stoke seems to help entering the corners.  Any shared experience would be appreciated.

P1000619_zpsca4dcabe.jpg

IMG_6747_zps5e630d41.jpg

P1000621_zps370a1814.jpg

Have you thought about just buying a WR250 (older 2-stroke model)? Basically a softened up YZ250 with wide ratio trany and lights. YZ250 will probably need a little taming to start out (pretty good hit off the bottom), but you would always be able to open it back up once you improve your riding skill. Suspension will be stiff for words work also. The WR250 may be a better starting point without all the work.

Have you thought about just buying a WR250 (older 2-stroke model)? Basically a softened up YZ250 with wide ratio trany and lights. YZ250 will probably need a little taming to start out (pretty good hit off the bottom), but you would always be able to open it back up once you improve your riding skill. Suspension will be stiff for words work also. The WR250 may be a better starting point without all the work.

Yes I have. I really like the suspenders I have now and I could put them on a similar year YZ. I mostly worry the yz might be intimidating and actually make me slower, and it won't be free.

That's why the WR250 may be a better fit for you. It's going to have a smother power delivery than the YZ. Should be like your 250F on steroids. I'm pretty sure your suspenders will work on the 2 stoke WR as its basically started life as a YZ.

I had the 1989 wr250 prior to my current yz250f. The WR had taller gearing for sure and on an open area it really shined. Was great low end as well. Compared to just a ya here is the difference...lower 1st gear then if I remember correctly gearing in 2nd through 4th was very close. Opened up more in 5th for the wr. I think it also had a 6th gear as well. Either way, top end blew away a regular yz250. Sometimes I miss that ole bike. It was the 2 stroker as well.

Edited by morphrider

Yz's can make great offroad bikes. If the power is a little too much for you, can always add a flywheel weight, adjust the timing, and run it a little rich to soften the power. No matter what, it will probably take some time to get used to the more responsive power of the 2 stroke. As far as the forks, yz's used 46 mm forks up through 03, however I don't know if the the triple clamp diameter's are the same. Even then, triple clamps should be interchangeable.

If you're a mid pack C rider, I say stick with your WR. the races are won in the difficult sections, not the easy ones. The 2 stroke will be WAY more tiring to ride , not nearly as forgiving as your current bike.

I'm not really worried about top end speed since the people in Minnesota who set up the races try to keep top end speed down.  I never used 5th gear on my WR, rarely did I ever hint 4th.  The older WR250 two strokes used smaller forks.

Yz's can make great offroad bikes. If the power is a little too much for you, can always add a flywheel weight, adjust the timing, and run it a little rich to soften the power. No matter what, it will probably take some time to get used to the more responsive power of the 2 stroke. As far as the forks, yz's used 46 mm forks up through 03, however I don't know if the the triple clamp diameter's are the same. Even then, triple clamps should be interchangeable.

That's kind of what I'm thinking.

If you're a mid pack C rider, I say stick with your WR. the races are won in the difficult sections, not the easy ones. The 2 stroke will be WAY more tiring to ride , not nearly as forgiving as your current bike.

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  Probably the more wiser of the "That's kind of what I'm thinking."  It was just so impressive to see some of the A and B riders use the 2 stroke power to pull wheelies through the small whoops on the last straight away.

I ride a 2002 WR-250F, which is the same machine as your 2001 model save for minor differences.

Does your 2001 model have the exhaust cam in the stock WR timing spec., or the YZ timing spec.?

If it's currently at the stock setting:

If you want to experiment with the effects of the bike making more power, you can easily get that by retarding the exhaust cam a tooth to 2001 YZ-250F specs.

This is one of the main differences between a 2001 WR-250F and a 2001 YZ-250F.

The details are in the FAQ section of this forum.

I recently tried this on my 2002 model after reading about the rave reviews by riders who tried it and liked it.

It changes the power characteristics of the bike quite a bit:

Gone is the 250cc tractorish type of power at the low end, and what you gain is harder-hitting power in the midrange that pulls a lot stronger from the midrange on up.

You basically trade away the easy-going power delivery and abundant (relatively speaking) low end torque for a lot more power and acceleration in middle and higher revs.

It's a motocross powerband, in other words.

If you're wondering if you should get a YZ-250 2-stroke and not sure whether or not you'd like it, it makes sense to me to try YZ exhaust cam timing on your bike, first.

If you don't like it as much as stock, you can easily put it back, which is exactly what I did because although it did make oodles more power and had quicker acceleration, the YZ-250F-type powerband wasn't as easy to use on the snotty trails I ride.

This mod is almost free, and the only part I bought to do it was a new cam chain tensioner gasket.

A good rider will make any bike look powerful because he knows how to use the power that the bike makes efficiently. Yes a 250 2-stroke will be more powerful, but that doesn't mean you will use any of that power if you are a beginner rider. In my experience the extra power just wears you out faster and gets you in trouble faster. There are many cheap and free mods you can do to your bike to get more power if you want, I would start there if you really want more power.

Rode my bike this weekend and had so much fun.  Actually did get it to wheelie through a couple whoops towards the end of the day and after getting my courage built up.  Thanks for the feedback.  I think the wise decision is to just own more bikes.  Seriously, all the feedback was very good.  The 250F is very easy to ride all day.

If you were around to read all of the magazine tests and hear ride reports from people you personally knew or met, that's basically what you heard about the 2001 YZ-250F:

This bike is much less tiring to ride that any other adult-sized motocross bike.

I believe, since it is so heavily based on that YZ, the same applies to the WR-250F.

Easy-to-use power characteristics while still having enough of it.

A very good chassis and suspension (especially the rear).

Edited by YZEtc

I have a 250 two stroke and 250 four stroke. The big thing with the 250 motor, in addition to the powe delivery with or without a flywheel (the #1 first mod I'd do) is the lack of engine inertia you'll feel in corners and through the rough. It's much easier to correct with throttle input when trying to turn or straighten the bike.

Also the lack of weight up top is a big difference.

But as others have stated I'd keep racing your 250 four stroke until you're being beat due mainly to bike, you simply want to spend money on a new bike or the four stroke breaks down so much your bank account and/or results suffer on a consistent basis.

Great pics, btw!

Well I had a 2001 WR250F, and now ride an 07 YZ269F with a zstart pro. Even before the big bore, the bike was fine for all of the woods riding I had done. Is it going to keep up with a 250 2t in a long straightaway, maybe not. However...either way you slice it...I think you are hindered by the fact its a 2001 WR250f. Regardless if you moved to a 250t or even a newer 250f. I felt like the 01 wr, albeit a solid bike, was quite top heavy at times. Maybe yours isnt as bad if you have done some stuff to it. When I got my 07, i still had my wr. And it was amazing to stand next to each bike, lean them over slowly...and feel the difference of when the WR got heavy vs. when the YZ got heavy. The wr would start to feel heavy WAY sooner during the leaning over.

What that has translated to me is, the YZ is a lot easier to catch during a bobble, feels a lot more nimble, etc. Again, the 01 WRF was a solid bike, just lacked in some departments the newer bikes helped alleviate. I don't even know if you need 250 2T power, or if having an easier bike to handle like a newer WR or a YZF (made more woods friendly) would give you. Woods friendly doesnt have to be a Rekluse either...even just a flywheel would help.

What's funny is I dont even mind YZ suspension in the woods, lol. Maybe I just like the abuse hahaha. But I also ride MX tracks, and find id rather sacrifice a lil "soft" ride for the MX ability.

Edited by J_WR2fitty