Sign in to follow this  

Getting a new '13 or '14 250SX. What to watch out for?

220# vet 40+ intermediate/expert coming from a 2010 YZ450 ('08 YZ250 2s before that).

What do I need to look out for on the new 250SX? Assuming I need new springs and need to rejet for my 1500' socal climate (if anyone is riding Pala what jets?).

I understand a new pipe and silencer will yield some improvement. Is it essential?

thank you,

Brent

I have a 2013 250 SX. First thing is to sort out the suspension. I had FC revalve the forks and have an Ohlins shock. To do it over I would have bought the Ohlins fork inserts as well but the FC forks are a huge improvement over stock. I run the red PV spring as well. FMF Fatty pipe and FMF silencer. I also ended up putting the 300 kit on it. Wow!!! Huge difference. I also changed the front tire to a Dunlop MX71. Stocker is a horrid MX51.

Like stated before, peel that POS MX51 off and put something better on....Pull bike apart and grease all bearings, add appropriate guards, suspension adjustments with a starting point of about 105mm of sag with the forks low in the triple clamps. I think KTMs are a very aggressive handling bike so I have always added a stabilizer to all KTM 2ts that I have owned.....

Edited by originalmonk

220# vet 40+ intermediate/expert coming from a 2010 YZ450 ('08 YZ250 2s before that).

What do I need to look out for on the new 250SX? Assuming I need new springs and need to rejet for my 1500' socal climate (if anyone is riding Pala what jets?).

I understand a new pipe and silencer will yield some improvement. Is it essential?

thank you,

Brent

red spring, stock pilot, NEDW needle on 3rd clip, 172-175 main @ pala to start. i bounce between the stock needle and the NED/NEC needles in various straight sections. the stock needles can get blubbery if you have your idle adjusted too high (super short straight section on these needles) and are not an aggressive rider but work quite well if youre aggressive. i would start with the suzuki needles based on your last bike and stated skill level just because they are clean on the bottom and will help you make the 2 stroke transition.

im just about your same weight now, you will need fork springs in the .50 area and a rear spring in the 6-6.1 area IMO.

edit: yea, that mx51 front sucks too. oh and i completely glossed over the fact that you already had a yz250 before that, so yea, probably not much 2 stroke transition eh?

Edited by mynewcr250

Thanks for the good suggestions. 

mynewcr250, do you feel the bike has sufficient power for your weight or will I be disappointed on the hills? At Pala I ride the main track almost exclusively. 

With the YZ I ended up having the head milled to set the squish band and ran aviation gas before the head mods.

Any such concerns with this bike? 

Did you revalve the suspension or just change the springs? 

If I have to spend more than a couple hundred to fix the suspension then I may just get a different bike. 

thanks.

Edited by BBrown626

Thanks for the good suggestions. 

mynewcr250, do you feel the bike has sufficient power for your weight or will I be disappointed on the hills? At Pala I ride the main track almost exclusively. 

With the YZ I ended up having the head milled to set the squish band and ran aviation gas before the head mods.

Any such concerns with this bike? 

Did you revalve the suspension or just change the springs? 

If I have to spend more than a couple hundred to fix the suspension then I may just get a different bike. 

thanks.

i stay off the pala main, from the side lines it looks a little out of my league. i like the amateur and vet tracks at pala and the main tracks at cahuilla and the ranch. i dont feel down on power honestly, but i do feel the jetting is off in stock form which is why i made some suggestions. they may/may not work for you.

i changed springs and i revalved my fork/shock at home. its far from perfect but its better than the "limp noodle" you get in stock form IMO. i do have to get back in there as i went just a little too stiff on the forks this time.