is it bad to wire wheel a dirt bike frame?

Well first off my dirt bike frame has some wierd wearing to it, it's not rust or dirt stains, i have no idea what it is but it's ugly, it's like black wear sports,  Anyways i tried cleaning my bike with different cleaners but it doesn't help, i did however take the wire wheel to a small section and it cleaned it right off, along with the paint in that area,  i didn't wire wheel anymore because i didn't know if it was a bad idea or not, so i'm asking on here...   Is it bad to wire wheel the paint off a frame?       or how do i remove these spots if anyone knows what i'm talking about?

If you're concerned how it looks with stains on the frame, how will removing the paint all together make it better?

it removed the stain and left it a shiny / polished look, i'm wondering if it's bad to do this..

assuming your talking  steel tubing ?

it will rust with no paint/powder coat  but no it's not bad to use a wire wheel

God, the ignorance of kids these days...

The shiny look there is bare steel. Bare steel will rust. If you do this to your entire frame it will look like total ass in short order, because it will rust. Also, rust will destroy the frame and make it weak. Not good.

If you ride regularly enough, your boots will tend to polish out those areas on steel frames. On aluminum frames, you will get blackness that is easily removed with scotch brite pads.

It's a wise bone aluminum frame from a 2004 crf250r

I'm not a kid, i don't know anything about frames / painting, I've never had an issue with this before that is why i'm asking, i assumed it would rust which is why i did barley a 1mm area before i seeked help from someone who knows more about the subject.   Some clear answers or helpful tips would be much better then smart ass comments.

These black wear marks are on the top side of the frame, where boots do not reach.  They almost look like mold spots? which makes little to no sense because the bike is very clean condition, with still 3/4 original tread on the tires.    I'm wondering how to get these spots off?  should i re-paint the entire frame? i don't know how or the first thing about painting / powder coating, so any help on the subject would be great.

will scotch pads remove paint?

Dude, the frame on a 2004 crf250 is bare aluminum. There is no paint on it. Scotch brite pads should clean it up or you could polish the spars.

THANK YOU those scotch pads + WD-40 work absolutely amazing.  removed the marks and made the frame look showroom again

3M Roll lock fine work well to. I always do full polish starting with 120 grit sandpaper to 2500 then mothers polish.

+1 on the wd40 and scotch brite. Works great even with very little pressure. That is how I clean and protect the 4 stroke header pipe from dirt and rust too.

Dude, the frame on a 2004 crf250 is bare aluminum. There is no paint on it. Scotch brite pads should clean it up or you could polish the spars.

FYI all aluminum is annodized meaning there is a layer of coating on the frame, you can check it with a Ohm meter if you don't trust me.  Untreated aluminum will corode and look like crap within weeks.

Yeah, if you use a wire wheel not only will it remove the finish it will also put tons of tiny scratches in the aluminum that will hold dirt and make it harder to clean in the future.

FYI all aluminum is annodized meaning there is a layer of coating on the frame, you can check it with a Ohm meter if you don't trust me.  Untreated aluminum will corode and look like crap within weeks.

This is straight up not true! All statements, untrue!

This is straight up not true! All statements, untrue!

Prove me wrong.  Aluminum corrodes, it turnes a dull while when untreated with annodizing.  It can be checked with an OHM meter, if you lightly touch the leads to treated aluminum it will show an open, annodizing is an insulator, find bare aluminum and it will show continuity.  If you find bare aluminum that doesn't look like crap i would be suprised.

3M Roll lock fine work well to. I always do full polish starting with 120 grit sandpaper to 2500 then mothers polish.

120?  Please tell me you mean 1200.

You sure it's not from your boots? My frame turns black when I ride hard. It's a combination of aluminum wearing, and the insides of the boots rubbing on the frame. When I rode Broome Tioga last weekend, I had tons of black on my boots, frame, and air box. It takes some elbow grease but it will come off.

120? Please tell me you mean 1200.

No I start with 120 and remove any pitting or scratches and move up from there. Takes awhile but when its done it looks like a mirror. Some spots on a frame are quite rough.

No I start with 120 and remove any pitting or scratches and move up from there. Takes awhile but when its done it looks like a mirror. Some spots on a frame are quite rough.

You better anodize your frame after you polish it otherwise you are risking it looking like crap in no time!

:lol:

Edited by MrN2OBelvedere