Sign in to follow this  

Solo adventure

I knew going down, that this was going to be a problem going back up.  And I was right.

But I couldn't stop when I was going down, so I told myself that it would melt a little by the time I was heading home.  But it was pretty clear that I need to turn around.

So I gave it my best shot.  Got about 1/2 way up and the bike got off line and then went down.

It was so slick, I could hardly stand up without falling.  How the hell was I supposed to pickup my bike.  There is only one way home and it involves getting up this mofo sheet of ice.

Well the ice wasn't too thick, so I managed to shut the bike down and smashed through the ice with a sharp rock to get some footing.  Got the bike up and dumped it to the side on a heap of snow and shut off the gas.

Then I went to task smashing up a 4ft x 4ft section of the ice so I could exit stage left and go around the worst of the ice.  The plan worked and I was off again until the engine died (forgot to turn the fuel back on lol).

I'm always worried about getting myself into something I can't get out of when ridding solo.  But it's a good feeling when you make it work, with what you have.

BTW the pic is where I stashed the bike after I picked it up.  It fell right in the middle of ice with the bars on the low side.

x.JPG

Rough day. Where the heck is this? I just did my first snow/ice riding of the season up in the Sierras

What are the GPS coordinates, I'll go pick it up....

Haha.  But, I rode it out.

Rough day. Where the heck is this? I just did my first snow/ice riding of the season up in the Sierras

It's near Breckenridge, about 20 mins from my house on the bike.  It's my go to trail to get to the single track in Breck.  I usually ride it 2-4 times a week.  There are endless miles of dry atv trails on my side of the pass, but I really wanted to hit up the single track... yeah I know, first world problems - life is tough. :cry:

Do you run studs for your snow/ice riding?  I gotta gets me some of those, but I'd also have to drop a lot of cash on heated grips, bigger stator & cold weather gear etc.  That maybe money better put towards a sled.  One toy is never enough.

Yeah man that looks pretty narly.

We've been blessed with an amazing indian summer in BC but the day's are getting short. Pretty much need to be out of the bush by 6:30pm or your going to be riding in the dark.

We got to about 3000ft elevation yesterday with NO snow but here's a pic of what I'm expecting soon. With that sad, I live close to the ocean so very rarely get snow down low but  I'm studding up a set of old tire's for this winter

DSCF0197.jpg

We got a couple of inches today, so I guess our Indian summer is over.  Must be nice to live near the ocean and mountains.

I like the quote in your signature, where's it from?

We got a couple of inches today, so I guess our Indian summer is over.  Must be nice to live near the ocean and mountains.

I like the quote in your signature, where's it from?

Yeah I'm very lucky. I've had the chance to ride Shasta/Chappie & StonyFord in North CA and hope I can make it to CO next year cus it's looks like you might have some NICE trail's :thumbsup:

Here's a pic I took in June from a look out you need to ride to which is about 15min's from where I live

DSCF0047_zpsd9d2e87b.jpg

One of Yoda's top ten quote's.

• Like 1

hope I can make it to CO next year cus it's looks like you might have some NICE trail's :thumbsup:

Here's a pic I took in June from a look out you need to ride to which is about 15min's from where I live

One of Yoda's top ten quote's.

Love the view, I miss the ocean (I grew up on the east coast of Australia).

Yeah there's lots of great riding in CO and I've only scratched the surface.  150 hours on the bike and it's never seen a trailer.

If your going to be near Breck when you come to CO, give us a shout and I can show you round.

Glad you got it out. I can't imagine how stressful it must've been. When I ride solo, I always do things I know I can do. Big hills I never do myself.

Exactly!  I (now) carry a search and rescue beacon and shelter (good down to 10 deg) on my back.  It's given me a lot more confidence to push things a bit up here at 10,000+ ft above sea level.   A couple of times I've followed some single track that quickly turned into something that traversed across a very steep mountain with no option to turn around or even stop. 

Sure makes for some interesting adventures!