Sign in to follow this  

California Looking for easy riding closer to home near east bay

New to the forum.  I'm pretty new to dirt biking and I'm looking for something closer to home that is easy to ride and to test my bike.  I will be leaving out of El Sobrante (Orinda, El cerrito area).   I've been to Carnegie OHV and while it was fun, it was incredibly busy with hundreds of people there.  Not safe for a new rider.  That was a few months ago.  

Other than the OHV parks (Carnegie, Metcalf, Hollister, Frank Raines) is there anything under 2 hours away?   I'd love to find a place where I can just ride fire roads for miles.   Places like Cow Mountain, Ukiah, Middle Creek, even Forest Hill are too far to make a day trip as I will be driving in a big slow truck.  I'll get to them eventually with a dirt bike/camping weekend.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Metcalf and Hollister would be good for you.....especially Metcalf. Each is mostly directional trails and either isn't too crowded. Usually I never pass other person really once on the trails. Metcalf is pretty small but will still give you a workout for a couple hours.....great day trip.

the only one other then what you mentioned close to El Slob would be Knoxville.  but it is a small place and not too exciting. 

there is some questuionable places like Montera bay, and carriage hills.  not too sure you can ride there anymore. 

you can make one day trips to stonyford, or MC.  i used to do it all the time when i lived in El Slob.  get up around 4:30-5 and motor up.  ride for 4 to 6 hours, then stop and eat then buzz home.  i've done it many, many times. 

https://www.desertusa.com/ohv07/california/knoxville.html

My reading comprehension sucks didnt see the "other than" ........I actually go to knoxville alot and the main road is prolly exactly what you are looking for. Most of the offshoot trails are easy too, except for a few. If you camp or stage at the hunters campground there is a water hole and fun single track loop that is to the left.

If you have a GPS I could send you some gpx of most all the trail on blm land.

Carnegie is the closest to you, Metcalf would be the second closest - Has one way trails that makes it easier for beginning riders. Plenty of easy stuff at Carnegie, but is crowded on weekends (as you've probably learned..)

I wouldn't recommend riding Knoxville alone, especially if you're a beginner or a quasi beginner.

Or an expert.

the only one other then what you mentioned close to El Slob would be Knoxville.  but it is a small place and not too exciting. 

there is some questuionable places like Montera bay, and carriage hills.  not too sure you can ride there anymore. 

you can make one day trips to stonyford, or MC.  i used to do it all the time when i lived in El Slob.  get up around 4:30-5 and motor up.  ride for 4 to 6 hours, then stop and eat then buzz home.  i've done it many, many times. 

https://www.desertusa.com/ohv07/california/knoxville.html

I see your point, not driving the 30 more for Cow or Stoney or MC

would be very short sighted, Knoxville SUCKS