Stupid question about efi ktms

What was KTM thinking when they designed the efi system to be completely dependent on the battery? My battery terminal came loose at a race and cost me a top five finish because the bike just shuts off and won't restart even with the kick. Japanese efi bikes don't rely on a battery so why on earth would KTM do it? Is it just me or is this ridiculous?

Just went to the garage to check. My 2013 250SXF, I just started it up and disconnected both terminals to the battery, it didn't even hiccup, just kept running.

I don't know why yours doesn't work, but mine sure does.

Hmm, maybe it was something they changed after 2011. Any one with a 2011 efi KTM want to give this a shot?

Guess my question is if this is the case, Who is responsible for the maintinence of your bike ??????

I do my maintenance

No issues here. I ride a 2012 250XCF. Did the same as Tye.

Probably had a short somewhere in the system,once the wire came loose.

Probably had a short somewhere in the system,once the wire came loose.

Negative, if I take the cable off and hold it in my hand the bike stalls.

Jap bikes don't have batteries

Jap bikes don't have batteries

Yeah... I know. Read my original post again

Hmm, maybe it was something they changed after 2011. Any one with a 2011 efi KTM want to give this a shot?

I know every year KTM has updated the harness, so perhaps they made a whoopsie in the 2011 harness?

I know every year KTM has updated the harness, so perhaps they made a whoopsie in the 2011 harness?

That's what I'm thinking I'm hoping to find some one with an 11 350 that wants to give it a shot

That's what I'm thinking I'm hoping to find some one with an 11 350 that wants to give it a shot

I got a buddy with one, let me ask... 

My 11' 350 XCF will not start with the kick starter when the battery is totally dead. The fuel pump or whatever never cycles. Even if the battery doesnt have enough power to turn the motor over with e start, it still requires the battery to have a bit of juice for the fuel pump when you use the kicker.

I got a buddy with one, let me ask... 

thanks tye, i appreciate it.

My 11' 350 XCF will not start with the kick starter when the battery is totally dead. The fuel pump or whatever never cycles. Even if the battery doesnt have enough power to turn the motor over with e start, it still requires the battery to have a bit of juice for the fuel pump when you use the kicker.

thats kind of the answer im looking for, my sxf doesnt do any thing with the kick start with the battery disconnected either, i just cant confirm what i does with a dead or low charged battery but id imagine the same thing. gotta be something they changed after 11

Edited by Woodsweapon350

Negative, if I take the cable off and hold it in my hand the bike stalls.

Simple fix for that! Don't hold it in your hand!

I do my maintenance

Might want to sharpen up your pre race bike prep!

Yep, thats because there is too much draw on the charging circuit. The fuel pump does not need to prime for the motor to run, I've tested that many times. My bike runs fine without the tank even attached, for about 3 seconds until the fuel pressure drops off. 

Edited by tye1138

Yep, thats because there is too much draw on the charging circuit. The fuel pump does not need to prime for the motor to run, I've tested that many times. My bike runs fine without the tank even attached, for about 3 seconds until the fuel pressure drops off. 

Yeah, all I know is that this spring I had an experience with a faulty Shorai that drained completely over the winter (Not to get off topic) and I couldn't get the bike started under any circumstances with that battery installed.  It was completely dead.  Then I installed the garbage stock battery that had been shelved for over a year and that still had a little juice.  It didn't have enough to turn the bike over with e-start, but it had enough for things to function when the kick starter was used.  So in short, a battery was required for operations besides e-start in my case.

the efi works seperate from the battery just like a jap bike, hence the capcitor under the throttle body. if yours is having a problem the regulator rectifier or power relay maybe bad. the wiring to the power relay on right side of airbox by battery can go bad or relay can fill with water if installed upside down. the regulator signals the system to run when power from stator is generated, (aka the engine turning over) then it runs off of power from the stator from then on.