Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about picking up this beast

Looks pretty clean in the pics.  I think $1500 - $1800 is reasonable for a clean CR500.  I would take someone along with you who's only job is to talk you out of buying it so you can make a critical decision when you look at it.

Looks pretty clean in the pics.  I think $1500 - $1800 is reasonable for a clean CR500.  I would take someone along with you who's only job is to talk you out of buying it so you can make a critical decision when you look at it.

Anything I should keep an eye out for on these bikes?  Anything that's known to go wrong?  As I said I am new to these bikes.

Just do the normal checking of all bearings.  Look at (and behind) the air filter to see if the air box and airboot is filthy.  Shine a flashlight into the exhaust port to look at the piston and cylinder walls. Shift through all 5 gears when you test ride it.  I haven't owned a CR500 since my brothers 85 but from what I understand they are as reliable of a motorcycle as you can buy.  I guess the 91 has a closer ratio transmission than the late 80's and the later model 90's and newer 500's had. 

Edited by frdbtr

I doubt you'll loose money on that since they are so hard to find. I just picked up a 97, put in fresh jets, replaced the reeds with carbon fiber reeds, new carb vent lines. I just wanted to give it every opportunity to start more easily. I like it so much now that I put on new cables and ASV levers and a 13 oz flywheel weight and a Rekluse z start pro. That flywheel weight really made the power delivery almost electric. You can really have a lot of fun on these. Finally there are quie a few 250f bikes out there with serious valve train issue that you can pick up cheap if you want a 500af one day.

I see it still has the 89-91 forks. They are shit. No rebound, prone to leak, and harsh. Good news is triples from 92-01 500's fit right in the frame. So swapping out to better forks is easy. Look for 96 to 01 forks as theses are the best that came on the 500.

I see it still has the 89-91 forks. They are shit. No rebound, prone to leak, and harsh. Good news is triples from 92-01 500's fit right in the frame. So swapping out to better forks is easy. Look for 96 to 01 forks as theses are the best that came on the 500.

Thanks!  I'll keep an eye out

I doubt you'll loose money on that since they are so hard to find. I just picked up a 97, put in fresh jets, replaced the reeds with carbon fiber reeds, new carb vent lines. I just wanted to give it every opportunity to start more easily. I like it so much now that I put on new cables and ASV levers and a 13 oz flywheel weight and a Rekluse z start pro. That flywheel weight really made the power delivery almost electric. You can really have a lot of fun on these. Finally there are quie a few 250f bikes out there with serious valve train issue that you can pick up cheap if you want a 500af one day.

How much modification is needed to slap a 500 in one of those?