Sign in to follow this  

Tire mounting question

I just got a Continental TKC-80 mounted on my front wheel.  It had a hop so I pumped it up to 50 psi and the bead finally seated evenly all the way around.  Then I let all the air out and the tire bead fell off the rim all the way around, both sides.  I'm used to a tire staying seated on the rim and having to beat on the thing to get it off.  This is a stiff sidewalled, fairly heavy duty dual sport tire, 90/90 - 21.  Is the tire just reverting to it's stock shape because it's only been on a rim overnight, and it will stay on the rim seat where I want it once it's used to it's new home?  Or do I have a problem that's going to get serious as soon as I lower the pressure down to about 14 psi for dirt?

what lube did you use for mounting?  and did you use the lube on the entire circumference of the tire?

Edited by OlderHuskyRider

what lube did you use for mounting?  and did you use the lube on the entire circumference of the tire?

It was mounted at a tire store that does cars and bikes.  I can't see or feel any lube but I know that they do use something.  I stuck my finger in between the tire and rim to see if it felt slippery and it didn't.

I wonder if the casing is sooo stiff that the tire wants to retain it's original shape more than it wants to stick to the rim, which is much wider than the tire naturally rests at.  But over time and miles will it adapt to the new shape and stay on the rim?

Back in my younger years, it was a pain in the ass to change tires. Now at 50, I just pay a local M/C shop $25 to mount a new tire. Simple as putting the wheel and replacement tire in the trunk of your car, going the shop, waiting 1/2 hour and just browsing their store, and back to my garage for an easy mount. I've got a rear to do right now and don't even want to attempt doing it by hand. Soon as I get some cash together, it's off to the M/C and let them do it on their fancy machine. If you think about it, it might take you a strenuous 1/2 or more to do, while it only take the shop 5-10 minutes on their rig and you know it's done right.

Back in my younger years, it was a pain in the ass to change tires. Now at 50, I just pay a local M/C shop $25 to mount a new tire. Simple as putting the wheel and replacement tire in the trunk of your car, going the shop, waiting 1/2 hour and just browsing their store, and back to my garage for an easy mount. I've got a rear to do right now and don't even want to attempt doing it by hand. Soon as I get some cash together, it's off to the M/C and let them do it on their fancy machine. If you think about it, it might take you a strenuous 1/2 or more to do, while it only take the shop 5-10 minutes on their rig and you know it's done right.

But will they grease the bearings, tighten the spokes, and give it love?

If it takes me 30 minutes to change a tire, which I can actually do faster, then I'm making $50.00 an hour.  Or saving $50.00 an hour for the labor.  Maybe when I'm older and more stable I'll pay someone, but til then I do as much as I can myself.  Also--I know I'll do it right.  Same thing with maintenance. 

• Like 1

jamracing:

LOL, no, that's my department. Just pop off the old tire, mount the new one, $25 bucks and four blocks away. Besides, you get to go check out the new bikes on display and browse the accessory section for good measure. Within an hour later, you're back with your girl mounting her as you know best. :)

LovingOffroadPain:

I hear yah! I suppose if you got the gumption and desire, you can do it yourself, but everyone is different. Specially those like the original poster for example that is having problems. A simple 10 minute drive to your local M/c shop where they have the right equipment that does the job right, but even more so, the fact that they don't risk damaging your rim or leaving burrs and scratches on it is a major plus. Those 30 minutes busting ass to get a tire on and off, well back in my day when I was in my 20's and 30's, I had all the time and stamina to spend an hour on it just for the sake of thinking "I'll do it right" which is always the number one reason for doing things yourself. It all boils down to individual taste and more importantly, experience. My take. Keep it Roostin!