Need a quieter pipe/exhaust for 03 xr400, anything out there under 90 dba?

Hey all,

I did a recent organized ride where passing tech inspection is a must. Even though my bike came in at 103 dba (LOUD) and the max allowed was 95 dba I was still allowed to ride. I normally LOVE how loud my bike is, with a White Brothers pipe, but this could be an issue in the future.

I'm curious what others are running and the results. So far I've just found XR's only pipes, which I'm fairly sure are just as loud, and a FMF Power Core IV silencer.

If there isn't a "quieter" pipe out there, then I can always get to repacking every 300 miles.....not

thanks!

Everybody say get a stock pipe if you want quiet, but why? A stock pipe without insert is louder than an FMF PC4 (not Q4). The stock pipe is just a single chamber with "perforated" wall. The FMF PC4 with the quiet insert (which equals the FMF Q4 if I know correctly) is quieter then the stock pipe with the same diameter insert. Sure you can shutup the stock pipe with inserts, but you can also do that with any other "more complex" pipe with better results.

I think a multi-chamber pipe would be the way to keep the noise really down. The Suzuki DRZ-S has a very nice quiet pipe, I don't know about its internals though.

Hey all,

I did a recent organized ride where passing tech inspection is a must. Even though my bike came in at 103 dba (LOUD) and the max allowed was 95 dba I was still allowed to ride. I normally LOVE how loud my bike is, with a White Brothers pipe, but this could be an issue in the future.

I'm curious what others are running and the results. So far I've just found XR's only pipes, which I'm fairly sure are just as loud, and a FMF Power Core IV silencer.

If there isn't a "quieter" pipe out there, then I can always get to repacking every 300 miles.....not

thanks!

XR's Only pipes are either the old type SuperTrapp copy, which is tuneable for sound levels.  Or a newer style that accepts a "quiet core". Don't know what they claim for db's but should show on the website. 

Edited by MindBlower
  • Like 1

After running my XR in the last months with the stock pipe, with various quiet baffles, yesterday I fitted back the FMF PC4 w/o insert. I've totally forgot the great throttle response at low RPMs, so playful and fun. And yes, it's loud when pushed, too bad you can't have both worlds at the same time :(

• Like 1

The Q pipe is probably the quietest. If you are riding on public land with a bike that tests at 103, you are risking a ticket and not doing our sport any favors. Rangers tested my stock muffler with the Vortip insert at 93db.

The DBsnorkle was the quietest add on, but no longer made.

Edited by Kev_XR

Very good point Kev_

I was very surprised as the time before it tested 96!! The packing must have been crap and worn out quickly. I just ran across some packing that featured an extra wrap for quieting the beast even more. If it works. I am def repacking soon and maybe this other stuff is a possible option.

Although the Q would look nice.... The White Bros label is long gone, there are a few dents, but it matches the "abused" look the bike seems to be sporting at the moment....