Sign in to follow this  

where can I get a timing tool

You can do it with a bolt as well, roll the engine so its near tdc, run a bolt through the spark plug hole until it touches piston, mark flywheel.  Roll engine other way until it hits piston again and mark flywheel again.  Split the difference between the marks and that is your true TDC.

Cheapo machinists gauge from Harbor Freight, wrap the base in electrical tape and it will thread itself into the spark plug hole.  Works like a charm, and <$15.  I use it any time I go through a bottom end or remove the stator/flywheel.

I used a cheapo harbor freight gauge, hollowed out a spark plug, then used a big wad of sticky tack (the poster hanging crap) to hold the indicator in place.  Works like a champ.

No, not the simple.  Find the Timing Thread.

Basically they line up when the piston is 0.007" before TDC.  Needs a tool to measure exactly where that is.

I used a cheapo harbor freight gauge, hollowed out a spark plug, then used a big wad of sticky tack (the poster hanging crap) to hold the indicator in place.  Works like a champ.

+1

I did this exact same thing. The cheap Harbor Freight dial indicator works great! And making a holder out of a spark plug is pretty easy, though I believe the electrical tape wrap method mentioned above would work fine too in a pinch.