Sign in to follow this  

New old bike owner

Just wanted to shout out to the vintage crowd. I just found and bought one of my favorite bikes of the 80s. I had been looking for almost a year. It runs like a top, just needs a litte finishing and has a good history.  1984 PE175E

pe175.jpg

i could be wrong, but the blue frame and seat look a little dark to be original. Also the ghost of the tank stickers looks to be of an 82. Does the frame say pe174e? Whats is the date code on the rims? 82-84 are the same so doesnt really matter i guess. would just suck if you paid 84 price for an 82. My favorite 80's enduro bike, either way.

i could be wrong, but the blue frame and seat look a little dark to be original. Also the ghost of the tank stickers looks to be of an 82. Does the frame say pe174e? Whats is the date code on the rims? 82-84 are the same so doesnt really matter i guess. would just suck if you paid 84 price for an 82. My favorite 80's enduro bike, either way.

I noticed the tank also. The front fender is the only original plastic from the original bike.  Tank is from another PE, side panels and rear fender are reproductions. The guy I bought it from brought it back to life and ridable. He repainted the frame but I think the seat is original b/c it is really worn and torn. He was mostly finished mechanically, top and bottom end, has swing arm bearings instead of bushings, RM125 airbox  and other stuff.

It's now my project to get it back to '84 trim as much as possible as I hope to do some vintage racing next year.

Oh, he had a Mint 82' model that was also for sale but I couldn't afford it.

There are a lot of people that swear by that rear Full Floater suspension, they say it was the best! I had a 83 RM250 and loved the bike, it was my first modern MX bike. I rode it till I got an 86. There were a lot of links to grease and or replace. We used to zip tie bicycle inner tubes around the links on the push rods to keep them cleaner and try to make them last longer. Having two air filters is a pain with that set up too. Cool bike.

What are the frame tag or vin numbers?

If there is supposed to be a tag on the head tube its gone. Is the VIN stamped anywhere?  The owners manual says stamped on the headtube but I sanded a little and cant find anything.

I thought there was a plate on the downtube, but i could be wrong. I also thought the 84 had painted fork legs. Its been 30 yrs though.................just looked at pics, yellow plastic fork protectors.

Edited by ickfinger